AVG Free Edition - Malfunction?

Thread: AVG Free Edition - Malfunction?

Question AVG Free Edition - Malfunction?

I have had the AVG Free Edition for over 2 years and never had any problems. Now, it will come up with a popup saying that it found 'PSW.Briss.B', and tells me to run AVG to remove it. I do, and do a complete scan. When it is finished, it comes up saying that it found nothing. Then, 5 minutes later, it will come up saying the exact same thing (it found the virus) and to run AVG to remove it. I have done a total of 8 complete virus scans in the past 2 days, and all of them have found nothing. I update it twice everyday, and there are no other problems with it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ANY ideas are welcome.

Thx

Try an online virus scanner such as link below as you may have different settings for automatic and manual scans.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Quote Originally Posted by mttm2004
    I have had the AVG Free Edition for over 2 years and never had any problems. Now, it will come up with a popup saying that it found 'PSW.Briss.B', and tells me to run AVG to remove it. I do, and do a complete scan. When it is finished, it comes up saying that it found nothing. Then, 5 minutes later, it will come up saying the exact same thing (it found the virus) and to run AVG to remove it. I have done a total of 8 complete virus scans in the past 2 days, and all of them have found nothing. I update it twice everyday, and there are no other problems with it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ANY ideas are welcome.

Thx
    Welcome to Windrivers mttm2004. One thing you might want to check is go to Results and Test results to see if it shows the infection there. If it does, look for the path it is located in. At times I have found when this happens, it is located in the system restore folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    Welcome to Windrivers mttm2004. One thing you might want to check is go to Results and Test results to see if it shows the infection there. If it does, look for the path it is located in. At times I have found when this happens, it is located in the system restore folder.

It tells me (in the popup) that it is in the System Volume Information Folder. I cannot open this folder because windows will not let me. When it runs a complete scan (I think this is the problem) it only scans 2 files in that folder, but from previous experience I know that there are over 1000 files in there. However, the popup tells me exactly which file it is. Do you think I could try to delete it through Command Prompt?

Quote Originally Posted by mttm2004
    It tells me (in the popup) that it is in the System Volume Information Folder. I cannot open this folder because windows will not let me. When it runs a complete scan (I think this is the problem) it only scans 2 files in that folder, but from previous experience I know that there are over 1000 files in there. However, the popup tells me exactly which file it is. Do you think I could try to delete it through Command Prompt?
    The System Volume Information Folder is the System Restore. In order to remove the virus, you will have to turn off System Restore. Once this is done, all these files will be deleted automatically. Reboot the PC and then restart System Restore. This will take care of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    The System Volume Information Folder is the System Restore. In order to remove the virus, you will have to turn off System Restore. Once this is done, all these files will be deleted automatically. Reboot the PC and then restart System Restore. This will take care of the problem.
    Can anyone confirm this?

every virus description on Norton Antivirus (if not every AV ) tells you to disable system restore before fixing the virus.

More info here...

How antivirus software and System Restore work together and System Volume Information Folder.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded