Explorer.exe has generated errors

Thread: Explorer.exe has generated errors

Explorer.exe has generated errors

I have a users PC that has explorer.exe (not internet explorer) that crashes. I have Googled it and gone through many of the fixes. It is Win2k, IE6 sp1. I have applied all the latest MS patches, re-installed IE6 and several other minor tweeks. It doesn't appear to be hardware. I ran tufftest pro on the HD and memory.

One of the errors that is seen is "The instruction at '0x...' referenced memory at '0x...' The memory could not be written." Also will get a similar error saying the memory could not be read.

I have not, that is my next step, tried ripping IE out in the registry and totally re-installing. Many of the google hits refer to repairing IE.

Any other ideas?
    Tr!une

Postcount = Legit Postcount + 1
    100+ all tech, no WOTPP

Clean out the temp directories and internet cache, then run chkdsk /f.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I was finally able to clean out the temp dir by deleting a few files at a time rather than the "select all" option. The file that were causing the problem were on a network drive and more importantly was a JPG file. The file association was Photoshop and I believe it was trying to use a thumbnail in the icon. All the other files would show the icon quickly, but the jpg file icons appeared slowly (not with thumbnails but a generic one.) Another user that didn't have the file associated with photoshop had no problems with the file.

So I renamed the file to shorten the length (this was a theme in some of the googled sites) of the file name. Then I renamed it back and the problem was solved.
    anyway, problem solved and I am blaming photoshop's thumbnail preview and a corrupted file name.
    Tr!une

Postcount = Legit Postcount + 1
    100+ all tech, no WOTPP