detected in bios - boot fail

Thread: detected in bios - boot fail

detected in bios - boot fail

hi forum,
    i am new here and ... there ...
    i have a hard disk .. 10 gb seagate, its been in good use for almost three years. last few weeks, it has been running 10 hours daily continuosly and also been travelling with me.
    One day when I put it back in my computer, after coming from my friend's computer, i switched the computer on, reached till the internet browser, it gave a vxd error ..... ( blank number ) i restarted the computer, NOTHING. after post. It is detected in the bios, but does not boot. I have tried the mfg diagnostic tools, passes the major tests, namely 90 second test and surface scan.

I have tried changing cables, 80 conductor cables, bios settings, master/slave, friend's computers and the 2 hour freeze also, but nothing. I am going to try 24 hour freeze.

Please help
    Last edited by cippy; April 8th, 2004 at 02:25 PM.

Welcome to Windrivers cippy

I wouldn't do the freezer trick yet. You say you habitually carry this drive around... did it get dropped or banged in any way?

It rather sounds like you have a virus or a corrupt or bad sector. have you tried booting with a floppy to see if you can access the drive through dos?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thanks for the reply

yes .... i have tried the boot from floppy, and the drive is not visible there also.
    no, it did not get dropped or banged. but suffered travel shocks, i carry it in a foam case.

I hope the freeze didnt do more harm.

It IS in the freezer again.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers cippy

I wouldn't do the freezer trick yet. You say you habitually carry this drive around... did it get dropped or banged in any way?

It rather sounds like you have a virus or a corrupt or bad sector. have you tried booting with a floppy to see if you can access the drive through dos?

I would not freeze it, I would use straight recovery software on it. Put it in a machine as a slave. Use your favourite data recovery software.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have none and know none. Please suggest some.
    Should i take it out of the freezer, its been there for 5 hrs now

I would not freeze it, I would use straight recovery software on it. Put it in a machine as a slave. Use your favourite data recovery software.

And if you ARE putting it in the freezer, I certainly hope you have wrapped it airtight in plastic to prevent condensation forming inside the drive
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

YES! I hope it was in a bag to seal it from getting condensation!!
    here is a free one You can search that site for others.

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    And if you ARE putting it in the freezer, I certainly hope you have wrapped it airtight in plastic to prevent condensation forming inside the drive
    this time YES, last time NO ( in the freezer Yes, outside, when trying on computer, No ).
    but it is out of the freezer and cooling off ( warming up ) in Plastic bag
    Last edited by cippy; April 8th, 2004 at 02:57 PM.

The freezer trick is the absolute last thing to try. I have to say that you will be lucky if it works.

The point of the freezer trick is you use it frozen. Letting it warm up defeats the entire object of the exercise.

You cool the electronics so that heat damaged pathways may possibly work long enough to get the data off. Then the drive is trash.

The freezer trick is the absolute last thing to try. I have to say that you will be lucky if it works.

The point of the freezer trick is you use it frozen. Letting it warm up defeats the entire object of the exercise.

You cool the electronics so that heat damaged pathways may possibly work long enough to get the data off. Then the drive is trash.
    In that case, changing the logic card might work ...

BUT, NooNoo, let me tahnk you for your prompt replies and honest suggestions, file recovery programme worked ( PARTLY ) . And i remember having used it for recovering deleted files.
    But a new problem has come up, some of the files are NOT recognized by their programmes ..... ??? yet others of the same type do. Now what next. well , I am going to try recovering the files ONE- BY- ONE ( not slect all and save in ... )

This is the long boring part - I will leave you to get on with it.

Changing the logic card may work, but the logic card MUST be for exactly the same model and revision.

Frozen metal also behaves differently - especially when that metal is a rotor.

This is the long boring part - I will leave you to get on with it.

Changing the logic card may work, but the logic card MUST be for exactly the same model and revision.

Frozen metal also behaves differently - especially when that metal is a rotor.
    yeah the expansion quotient .... I hope it does not damage the drive ..

Any new suggestions on the " file recognition/running" problem ?

Nope, considering what you have done to that drive, I am surprised you got anything back at all.

You could use getdataback It is much better than the free one, probably because Getdataback is not free

Nope, considering what you have done to that drive, I am surprised you got anything back at all.
    Done What ?...... Use it the way i did, or..... tried to diagnose or ... that i froze ( actually chilled ) it ( the refrig must have been working at low , then )??

Yup.