DVD playback problem after OS upgrade

Thread: DVD playback problem after OS upgrade

why is England in the country list, and not Scotland, or UK?

Angry DVD playback problem after OS upgrade

wondering if anyone could help me regain DVD playback on my Packard Bell system.

My computer came pre-installed with XP Home, Power DVD, Windows Media Player & RealOne Player. These 3 programs all played DVDs fine, even after a fresh OS install from the PB Master CDs.

Now I've formatted, and upgraded to XP Pro, and my computer won't play DVDs. If I try to autoplay a disc, it says there is no program association. If the disc has Interactual Player on it, I get a video subsystem error.

I have tried browsing through the Packard Bell Master CDs, but there don't seem to be any setup files forDVD playback. Having bought XP Pro, I'm not willing to go back to a previous OS, or spend even more money getting DVDs to play again.

I heard XP had built-in DVD support, I have already installed all the XP updates and service packs, but DVDs still won't play in Windows Media Player 9. Is there a way I can get my DVDs to play without having to go back to XP Home, and without having to buy new DVD software? Possibly a way to access a driver on my Master CDs?

You did a format/install rather than an upgrade. This removed your DVD playing software. Media Player does not play DVDs unless there's an actual DVD playing software installed on the computer, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD. Restore your system with your recovery CDs, then perform an upgrade rather than a formatted install. That oughta do it.
    Perseverance in all matters.

Yes Percy but its vital that the dvd software is updated for XP otherwise this will cause a whole other bunch of problems.

Formatting to install XP is the preferred method... however if you do an upgrade from a just restored system, upgrade problems will be minimised.

What ever you do, do not allow Easy CD 4 to be installed on XP or upgraded... if the restore puts Easy CD 4 on, then uninstall it before upgrading to XP.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."