running out of ip addresses

Thread: running out of ip addresses

running out of ip addresses

I have just got my first role in I.T looking after our network consisting of approx 20 servers, 200 pc's 30 printers etc, we are currently using a 10.0.6.x dhcp scope, but i need to introduce a 10.0.7.x scope also, everything is confined within a single site, single domain, what is the best way to extend my network with minimum disruption to allow me to add another 250'ish pc's i believe i need to use a subnet to do this but not sure how to implement it, any help on this would be truly appreciated.

Drop in a router, set up your routing tables or routing protocol, make it a dhcp relay agent, setup your new scope and go home.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Create a superscope then add a new scope that allows more IP addresses. Then ask for a bonus because they don't have to buy the router that silencio suggested.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Then work off that bonus because your collision domain is unmanageable.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Maybe you'll care to elaborate why...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    Drop in a router, set up your routing tables or routing protocol, make it a dhcp relay agent, setup your new scope and go home.
    This is the best way. Do not just find a fix but think about the future and what is the best method. With this many workstations, you need two networks.

Instead of a new router, you could buy layer 3 switch like a Cisco 3550 type switch and setup two VLANS. This would allow you to expand to more VLANS if you need to. I have a network with 10 Class C and I have two 3550 and it works great.
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    No mention of switches - I always assume the worst layer 1 hubs are alive and well
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i would go with a managed Switch rather then a router, connect the users into smaller groups and use more ports in the switch, change your subnet mask so that it's the same on boths sides. The switch will cut down on the collision domains, so it won't be a big worry. However, on a network of that size, make sure all your data services are working well, both DNS and WINS, cause you still have to worry about broadcast packets.

The "best" solution however would be to get a proper router and make to seprate networks, the above is in case your and a shoe string budget
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

scopes

Many thanks everyone for your input, i have since, changed the current subnet mask 255.255.255.0 to 255.0.0.0 and changed my scope accordingly to issue 10.0.6.x to 10.0.7.x as one scope which is working but when a client gets issued a 10.0.7.x address it can log in but when you try to view the network places it requires a log-in but wont accept my login as an administrator???? i have even tried splitting the single site down to 2 sites and linking them but still no joy....my head hurts!!!!