Puzzled???

Thread: Puzzled???

Puzzled???

I have a client using Server 2000, P2P network, server has (2) nics used in a NAT enviroment. The server provides the internet connection for the building. The problem started a couple of weeks ago when I was called and informed the internet service was not available. The person who called rebooted the system and stated everything was fine. However I found out this has happened 3-4 times a week.
    Looking in the system event log, I found quite a few entries of this: "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer "NAME" that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_ {1FF0A736-F0A0-400. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced." Not sure what this means and what to do about it. Any light shedded on the problem appreciated.

Hooray browser elections.

in a workgroup setting I would configure the server you're refering to to be the Master Browser by following these directions. Depending on how many systems you're talking about you could also configure the others to NOT try to be the master browser, or at least the one that's trying to win the election.

Exciting Browser Election reading here. And that event is refrenced here.

by rebooting the Server they are causing it to force an election which it then wins for the time being.
    Last edited by craigmodius; May 2nd, 2004 at 01:48 PM.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    ..Exciting Browser Election reading..
    Isn't that a contradiction in terms ?

Is there another server o/s somewhere's ? or xp ? Sometimes they make this happen if they reboot during the day, force another election, they think they are better than w2k server.

Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service - Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 188001

Microsoft Active Directory services in Windows 2000 and Windows XP replace the computer browser service used in earlier versions of Windows to provide the network basic input/output system (NetBIOS) name resolution. The browser service in Windows 2000 is provided for backwards compatibility with client computers that are running earlier versions of Windows.
    You are supposed to be using AD or that's what Billy Boy wants you to, peer to peer has never been 'approved' of past windows for workgroups .. so this feature is a bit 'iffy' ..

Just rig the election so nothing else wants to vote .. Craigs links tell you how..

Thanks for your suggestions. Will give this a try today and see if this will work. I would go to the other PC's as well and change the registry as well, however, there are 75 other machines and not all of them are accessable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    Thanks for your suggestions. Will give this a try today and see if this will work. I would go to the other PC's as well and change the registry as well, however, there are 75 other machines and not all of them are accessable.
    75 peer to peer machines !? .. whoa ..there's nothing like asking for it is there ..

Gulp... what he said...^^^
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Oh well, doesn't matter now seeing as how the os is hosed anyway. I went in today to make the changes and found the PC rebooting and rebooting, and etc. I ran a full virus scan and found no virus of any sort including the new sasser. There seems to be corrupt files on the system and since i can't get it to do a repair and they did not make a recovery disk, that sort of kills it there. I did try the usual fixboot and fixmbr to no aval so reinstall as they say.