Help Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Thread: Help Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Unhappy Help Keyboard error or no keyboard present

Help !!! I face a problem with my PC. Actually my PC quite some time no use already and when I intend to boot the system, it hang up with a error message "Keyboard error or no keyboard present " ..i have checked with the keyboard and it was alright. My keyboard actually is a serial keyboard ... well ...since the serial keyboard have problem i use a PS/2 keyboard and join with a converted from PS/2 >> Serial and then plug into the PC .... it give me the same error message ... Can anyone tell me how am i going to solve this kind of problem ??????

Serial keyboard?

Do you mean an AT keyboard?

the original keyboard plug looks like the top picture here, but the socket on your computer looks like the bottom one?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ya the keyboard plug is look like above ... but because of my old PC model, it doesn't have socket bottom one (PS/2) .........

OK, it's really easy to break these adapters. I would try another adapter first.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK, it's really easy to break these adapters. I would try another adapter first.
    HUH?? adapter ? i'm sorry i don't understand ? actually i have problem to use the keyboard ..what can i do for it since now i confirm my keyboard is alright just that i dun understand why the system giving me the error message "Keyboard Error or no keyboard present " ???

Oh... I see, you tested it with another pc with a ps2/at adapter....

OK, then it is likely that the AT keyboard port has blown. Some have replaceable fuses.... others do not. Does the machine have usb?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Oh... I see, you tested it with another pc with a ps2/at adapter....

OK, then it is likely that the AT keyboard port has blown. Some have replaceable fuses.... others do not. Does the machine have usb?
    Nop the machine doesn't have USB port ...but i tell you what... i try use a PS/2 keyboard convert to serial plug and plug into this keyboard port machine ..sometimes it work and sometimes it not .....if the keyboard port had totaly blown why the PS/2 keyboard after converted it can work ?

well you see it could be intermittent. I don't know you machine, your motherboard your keyboard, I cannot see it.

I have only the information you provide to go on. The keyboard port on your motherboard is AT - not serial. It could well be the port is lose, the keyboard plug has a dry joint....the cable on the keyboard has cracked inside and joins enough to work sometimes, others not.

From here it is impossible to tell.

If keyboard fuse is blown, keyboard will not work at all... no lights,nothing...

But sometimes (mostly because of improper using of keyboard - after connecting keyboard to working PC, for example ) that "fuse" can change resistance - you see, quite often instead of fuses MB manufacturers are using SMD Zero-Ohm resistors (or about 0,1-0,5 Ohms)... So, instead of zero Ohm can be 100-200 Ohms... As result, it can cause intermittant keyboard problems like yours... At least, I have seen it quite a few times...

Besides that,don't be surprised - sometimes one keyboard works fine with one motherboard and doesn't work at all with another... I have at home NEC PS/2 keyboard what doesn't work at all with one of my Soyo MBs and works fine with all other MBs...

So, I would recommend to try another (known good) keyboard to be sure...

Quote Originally Posted by shinyo21
    Nop the machine doesn't have USB port ...
    Every Pentium class MB, even socket7 were having on-board USB connector... so, you can find proper USB cable with USB connectors (as I did for my Soyo 6BB AT-format MB)... can be taken from, for example, from broken PC case with front USB connectors... Refer to MB's manual for USB pinouts info...