MY drive reads DVD but NOT read a CD

Thread: MY drive reads DVD but NOT read a CD

MY drive reads DVD but NOT read a CD

My laptop HP Pavillion ze4145 had a Combo Drive with is a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2212. This drive reads DVD's including software dvds and movie dvds. But when i insert a cd it does not read a cd. I have tried all cd it simply does not read. I tried writing a rewritable disk, even this is not recognised by the drive. I uninstalled the drive and re-installed still it does the same thing. i am running the windows XP home edition. I checked with the e-diagnostic tools, but it shows that the device is working properly. Sometimes it shows that the file format is not supported by windows.
    how do i overcome this problem.

Welcome to Windrivers zameer, what exactly is on the cd's you have tried?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

it does not read any type of cd. movie files, data files, i even tried the system recovery cd's that shipped with the hp laptop.

Sadly, this often means the CD section of the dual-wavelength laser has failed. As a low cost thing to try, if you haven't already, clean the laser lens.

Seems that toshiba combo drives in many laptops are failing - get on to your laptop supplier.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

My Drive read DVD but no CD

Quote Originally Posted by zameer
    My laptop HP Pavillion ze4145 had a Combo Drive with is a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2212. This drive reads DVD's including software dvds and movie dvds. But when i insert a cd it does not read a cd. I have tried all cd it simply does not read. I tried writing a rewritable disk, even this is not recognised by the drive. I uninstalled the drive and re-installed still it does the same thing. i am running the windows XP home edition. I checked with the e-diagnostic tools, but it shows that the device is working properly. Sometimes it shows that the file format is not supported by windows.
    how do i overcome this problem.
    I too have same problem. I use a SONY DRU-530A drive. It reads and writes DVDs but no CDs. I install the new firmware and driver but no use. So I have to replace the drive with a new one. Thanks
    Shantanu

Welcome to Windrivers Shantanu - check the warranty on the Sony before you throw it out - you might be able to save yourself some money.