XP Pro and/or XP64 problems
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Pro and/or XP64 problems

I belong roughly to the Catuvellauni tribe, but our border often shifts in place with that of the Dobunni

XP Pro and/or XP64 problems

Hi, I've recently started getting a really weird problem. When either Windows XP x86 boots or XP x64 boots the loading screen comes up and then it takes up to 2 minutes for windows to actually load.
    I wouldn't mind except its a brand new PC with nothing installed and you cant see anything for the time that it doesn't load, originally it happened on XP x64 so i thought maybe it was GFX driver problems.

I installed XP x86 as well and the same thing happens. I don't know why because it happens on either OS even when only one is installed and the other isn't.
    My PC was running fine, it's less than 3 months old and really starting to bug me. Any help would be appreciated.

The PC is an AMD 64 X2 4400+, 4GB RAM, 1 Seagate 400GB, 1 150GB Raptor, 2x XFX 7600GT XXX edition graphics cards. Currently running just XP x86 and nothing else. Thanks in advance,

:edit: The PC runs fine once XP is actually loaded. :edit:

Drent

P.S. does anyone know where I can download Service Pack 2B for XP 64 cos I can't find it anywhere on the MS site
    Last edited by Drent; October 8th, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
    "I reckon you got it wrong wi' them Y's. I reckon it should be N E Bo D. That's Enn...eee...bor...dee, see? Thats sense!" - Rob Anybody, Nac Mac Feegle Big Man

http://forums.windrivers.com/images/smilies/pbeer.gif

Other pc... so you have a home network? It may be taking it's time to pull an IP?

Windows updates does not list a sp2 of any description for x64 - only sp1

Note

• SP2 is not being released for Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. If you want to run a 64-bit version of Windows XP, contact Microsoft about obtaining Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
    Guide for Installing and Deploying Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 8th, 2006 at 10:43 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I belong roughly to the Catuvellauni tribe, but our border often shifts in place with that of the Dobunni
    Uuuhhh I haven't actually installed the network on it yet (fresh install just this morning) and I only asked about the SP2 because on Dabs they're selling copies of XP x64 SP2B and I thought it might fix some of the problems I've been having.
    "I reckon you got it wrong wi' them Y's. I reckon it should be N E Bo D. That's Enn...eee...bor...dee, see? Thats sense!" - Rob Anybody, Nac Mac Feegle Big Man

see above edit.

Was the nic in the machine when you installed? If so, it will try and use it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ok cool thanks for the SP2 thing, uuuuh what do you mean by nic?

Network Interface Card....

Um I have 2 Ethernet ports on my motherboard if that counts

yup - so it's trying to find a connection to get an IP. Have you checked the device managers? If they have installed, you better plug them in...

as in plug the network cable in? Because if so, it's already in one of the ports and if you mean plug the NICs in then I don't have any choice cos they come on the Motherboard but I'll try putting the cable in the other port and see if that helps

Why have you got two nics? Just use the onboard one... unless it's your cable modem connection? Or are they both onboard... In which case disable one of the onboard ones. You may also find that in network connections, a network bridge has been installed. You may need to uninstall that

ok, yeah they're both onboard ones, I'll try disabling one.

Better?

no

You are dual booting xp and xp64 right?

What ip is shown for each?

start, run, cmd type in
    ipconfig /all

for both oses

at the moment im just booting XP x86 it doesnt have 64 on there atm. Currently there is no ip address