The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the problem occurs, press Shift +F10 to bring up the
    command prompt. Then type taskmgr.exe in the DOS window
    and press Enter. The Task Manager should be started. If
    not, try to press C+Shift+ESC. In the Task Manager
    program, select the error messsage window in the
    application list and click "End Task". In the process
    list, terminate the unregmp2.exe program. Exit the DOS
    prompt window and resume the installation process.

This was close, but then I still had to end it from the processes tab of Task manager instead of applications. What a CROCK that Microsoft STILL has no mention of this. Thanks WD members

i cannot find unregmp2.exe running in processes.
    now what. i have been waiting about 15 minutes and no change. arrrrgh

Welcome to WD Forums irv.
    What do you see in the task manager? Remember to check processes and programs.
    Also, be patient.

PS
    WOW, this thread has become huge.

i had to delete migrate.exe in order to get my sp2 update to move along. all is well.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    PS
    WOW, this thread has become huge.
    Yeah I think it now has all the variations of this condition in it to get loads of random google hits hence why you've had 'teh greeter' hat on quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Yeah I think it now has all the variations of this condition in it to get loads of random google hits
    Yeah, it sure looks that way now: ALL the variations. But the hits are a good thing, right? So, SP2 as well. Hmmm. I wonder what all the details of this one were.
    Hey irv, if you read this, could you provide the details to the actual problem you had. Was this a SP2 upgrade/install only?

hi TripleRLtd. i was working on a friends laptop/ desktop replacement (no internal battery) because the power connector went bad. i found directions to disassemble the monster and fixed it and when i put it back together, it wouldn't boot and i couldn't get past an entry point error message even with specific instructions found through a google search. my only guess on that one is that the password had expired since the last time the computer was used but that is only a guess.

so i did an sp1 repair installation from cd and got it going without any data loss, mercifully. i then let windows update download and install sp2 and during the install process, i got the entry point error message and i had to delete the migrate.exe process to get it going again. now i am returning the laptop complete with extra screws i didn't use and with a loose screw in the case. i am crossing my fingers......

Good man Irv

The more we can 'drag out of folks' who manage to fix things up with this fairly random list (As trip set off to talk about just one variation of this ), the better chance it gives to later folks to find a work around for any of this very long list of slight variations by simply skimming this post !

Trip :- this might be worth 'noting' somehow on the opening post ? .. asking folks to confirm what fixes what, or if some suggested fix works for a new variation ?

The opening reply on this thread 'has it' for me

You weren't wasting your time by sharing this information.
    Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Trip :- this might be worth 'noting' somehow on the opening post ? .. asking folks to confirm what fixes what, or if some suggested fix works for a new variation ?
    Will do: later. Any ideas as far as "wording" confus-ed? NooNoo?

13 minutes left to register components...

The 13 minutes remaining to register componenets is supposedly the install doing a Windows Update or similar (http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_839492.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;839492)

BUT: my machine hung forever... CD eject did the trick.

yeah

alright, i read all the posts in this topic. i'm not quite sure what caused the message to come up with anyone else, but i opened windows media player, and the "procedure entry point" box comes up and has not gone away despite over 40 minutes of waiting and occasional clicking of "OK." there is also a large box the size of media player, but it's blank inside, and another small box linked to the media player box that's titled, "updating media library." is that the update you're all talking about, or is that a separate task that you start to fix this problem?

Welcome to wd shpladoink.
    This error message and thread is about when it happens while doing a repair install on a WinXP machine. So, you are opening up MP and getting this error?
    How about giving us more details about your machine and situation so we can help.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Welcome to wd shpladoink.
    This error message and thread is about when it happens while doing a repair install on a WinXP machine. So, you are opening up MP and getting this error?
    How about giving us more details about your machine and situation so we can help.
    right, all i did was open up media player, and i got the error box. i hadn't used MP in a while, since i mainly use winamp for music, but i wanted to play a cd. i'm running XP sp1. i don't know much about the specs of the machine, but i just added some RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem. what other information would be necessary to help out here? i tried waiting for the box to go away, but it was there for just over an hour, and it was really getting in the way, so i just closed MP and the other little window with taskmanager.

That is indeed strange, and, btw, has nothing to do with what this thread is really about, but this has me wondering now. Was WMP trying to update itself when you opened it?
    Do you have "auto update" enabled in XP?
    Which version of WMP is it? Perhaps you can download the latest version and reinstall it. Failing that, I would start a new thread about this issue so it doesn't confuse those looking at this one, and to get everyone here involved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dozevo
    i got stuck at exactly that same point, so i took the advice of hitting the OK a zillion times. Sometimes it disappeared for a second or two but came back, but i persisted and it eventually disappeared and continued downloading. just stick to it. doz
    Yes i waited about 15 -30 minutes and nothing happened. I then hit constatnly for about 3-4 minutes and it went away.

Thanks for the advice everyone.