Transfering Data from Palm To Palm

Thread: Transfering Data from Palm To Palm

Transfering Data from Palm To Palm

I have a client that has a Palm IIIxe and wants to get all of the data from that Palm to his new Palm which is a Palm m505. The data is on his computer in Palm desktop and when the new Palm is synced it wants to create a new user. Is there a way to transfer that data to the other Palm using hotsync. I already tried making the new user the same and it said that there cannot be duplicate users. I am not very proficient in the area of palms and I searched Palms website and the internet and I am unable to find any answers. Maybe I didnt search with the right keywords, but I cannot find anything.

I had to do this 2 years ago. If I remember correctly, the trick is to change the user name on the new palm to match that on the old one before it is synced.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Palm USB Cradle

Thank You hudsonsmith for your advise, it worked. I also have another problem relating to Palm. I have a few USB cradles for the Palm m505's that do not seem to work. When I install the Palm Desktop software, the Palm will Not sync with the USB cradle, but it will sync fine with a serial cradle. I have checked the settings and Local USB is selected. I have tried this on Windows 98SE, 2000, and XP all with the latest updates and patches. I have consulted Palm's website for information and everything I have read says it should work fine when the palm desktop software is installed. I used the palm CD that came with the Palm and the latest downloaded from Palm's website. I used their USB cleanup utility and nothing I try works. I tried this on a couple different machines thinking it might be the computer. I tried the Palm on a Dell Latitude C600 and a Dell Optiplex GX260 and neither would work. I am probably missing something, but I cannot locate any information that would say the cradle needs drivers.

When you do a usb sync, windows should detect the palm as a new usb device. Is this happening? Does it show up in device manager? Message in event viewer? You need to be logged in as an administrator for the initial install.

Other advise from Palm:
    Ensure that "Local USB" is selected in HotSync manager.
    Windows: Click on the HotSync Manager icon in your system tray. If there is not a check next to "Local USB" (located at the top of the pop-up), scroll your mouse over that selection and click on it to select it. Click again on the icon to ensure that the selection is now checked.

Windows New Hardware Wizard asks for a USB driver when I try to synchronize

New Hardware Wizard looks for Palmusbd.sys
    Last edited by hudsonsmith; May 12th, 2004 at 02:03 PM.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

It works now

For some reason another palm which I borrowed works just fine. I dont understand because I didnt do anything different and I used the same cradle(s). Maybe that other palm just didnt like USB because it worked fine with the serial. Oh well. No big deal. Thanks for all your help.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

I seem to remember having to change a system setting on customers PDA one time from serial to usb for the connection type.