In the spirit of the Sabbath.

Thread: In the spirit of the Sabbath.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

In the spirit of the Sabbath.

Well at least if Sunday is your Sabbath.
    True story.
    My sister lives in NYCity. She had a neighbor who was well on in years. Retired. Very nice guy. Lived alone. Had some hearing loss so he played the tv loudly. My sister noticed a couple of weeks ago she hadn't heard the tv for a few days. She knocked on his door and got no answer. She checked around and no one had seem him. She called the Super and the cops. They opened the door and found he passed away. My sister new this guy never talked about his family. Turns out he had none. My sister knew he was a vet. Since in NY if you die without money or family you get buried in a place called Potters Field my sister decided to see if the VA would give him a burial. After a run around she eventually called her Congressman who saw to it the VA buried the guy.
    A week later my sister was having a living room set delivered. She had given away the old one. My sister likes nice things. She had the couch custom built at a top notch custom builder. It was actually a template from their line. It was advertised as 95 inches wide. Which is one inch smaller than she believed would fit getting into her apartment. She lucked out. She gave a 2000 dollar non-refundable deposit. The couch comes and it is really 105 inches wide and doesn't fit. The company said that since the spec was wrong they will give her a loaner until she buys another couch, no matter who she buys it from. The couch they gave her was 87 inches wide. It just fit. Turns out even if the original was the 95 inches advertised it wouldn't have fit and she would have been out 2000.
    I personally believe that things like this are not coincidence.

Nice story. I believe so, as well.

"Do good unto others...".

This is especially nice because her act of kindness had no way to be repaid by the recipient.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I'm another who believes that too. Things always have a way of balancing out.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Now I know I've had a couple? But I am trying so hard to understand this. Your sister realizes that that some old guy's tv is not on before he gets ripe and clears the building. So she orders a couch that won't fit in her apartment, and lucks out because the company also f___ked up and made it the wrong size. Even if they made it the right size, it wouldn't have fit. So she is not out 2000 because she cheated the furniture company?
    You sound like like you're proud of her. Am I missing something here?