Gas Price Rebellion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Price Rebellion

Gas Price Rebellion

Hey, it can't hurt!!!!

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

I am in. I'll ride my motorcycle that day...which I'm doing more and more of anyway....

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Well, thats not really helpful. People will still use the same amount of gas, just buy it the days before or after.
    If everyone didn't drive for one day that might help. As long as they didn't just take the same trips the day before or after.
    What would help is a realistic energy plan for the United States. Since the easiest, fastest way to save energy (while maintaing our standard of living) is to use more efficient devices perhaps increased mileage standards for cars and suv's?
    Under the proposed Bush plan miles per gallon standards will be determined by weight. Say a 2600 pound car has to get 25 mpg, a 2500 pound car 27 mpg, etc. So if you are a manufacturer and your car is 2500 pounds and gets 26 mpg you can meet the standard by adding 100 pounds of weight.
    Sounds crazy, right?
    Just as crazy as not buying gas for day.

Exactly why I hesitated to post this...........do you piss in someones wheaties EVERY morning??

It can't hurt tho, now can it??
    Last edited by Coaster Creator; May 17th, 2004 at 05:41 PM.

Geesh techs: you're an ornery old goat. Always the negative one:

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster Creator

Exactly why I hesitated to post this...........do you piss in someones wheaties EVERY morning??

It can't hurt tho, now can it??
    Well, except if everyone does this the line of idling cars the day after waiting to buy gas might actually increase total gas usage therefore raising prices.
    I want to do something about the gas prices too. If someone comes up with something realistic I will sign on.

Perhaps it just might serve as a message from the people. Sometimes actions do speak louder than words.

How about everyone write a letter of complaint and send it to their congressman/woman?

Btw,.. gas is STILL cheaper than it is in Europe. And I almost hope it stays high because higher gas prices = greater chances of Bush getting fired in November. It will also (over time) hopefully discourage all the soccer moms out there from needlessly driving their kids to school in military tanks. Just these two reasons alone make me happy that gas prices are going higher.
    Hello World

A message to who? The people that need to get the message are in Washington not at my local gas station.

$hit, sorry I posted this....

Told ya Trip..... :butt:

Don't be sorry. You're p*ssed off. So are a lot of us. It's just that simplistic answers are not what we need.
    Anyone out there have a realistic plan?

Yes. Stop using gas all-together. It's very wasteful. Hydrogen powered fuel cells is where it's at.
    Hello World

There was one going around for a short spell, talking about stopping using gas from one provider. Like Amoco and BP are together I think. These and any other affiliate you would stop buying from them all to really cripple one of the big ones for like a month. Now that one sounded like a real cool attempt at being heard, unfortunately, it didn't work. I think they wanted to boycott Mobile as one of them...I for one find their prices to be the lowest, and it’s actually great gas.

I think the best thing to do is just learn how to live with it, and travel less. It will take years for any gas mileage requirement from the government to trickle down to a production line, so I am not holding my breath there…and I just don’t think all the whining in the world is going to change any of it.

As far as the 19th, I didn’t plan to gas up until the weekend anyway, so count me in…

I thought it was Exxon/Esso. But listen, imagine if millions didn't buy gas on that date, and other dates afterwards. Do you not think this would draw some sort of media attention? And, once the media mentioned it, politico's would face questions, and, thus, would have to answer. That is what is called a start! Not answers from "techs" (who seems to have a liberal answer to everything) or anyone else who doesn't count: including us. Ever here of the Montgomery Bus Strike? Small things can start the ball rolling in major way sometimes.
    Sadly, most of you are right, though. We are gas guzzlers to the extreme, and it seems like we'll pay any price. And: whining sometimes does pay off.

Yes. Stop using gas all-together. It's very wasteful. Hydrogen powered fuel cells is where it's at.
    See...problem is where do we get hydrogen? Running electricity through water. That electricity needs to be generated from somewhere, and in many cases that will be generated from a process not much better than a gasoline burning car. Until we solve the fundamental problem of creating hydrogen in a completely clean way we haven't solved anything. Of course that being said, we will need to transition to such a system, but hydrogen fuel cells themselves will not be a silver bullet. I heard of some people who came up with a process to generate hydrogen from ethanol, but I don't know where that stands at the moment.

Personally, I'd like gas prices to drop as well, but I worry that if people in Washington try to please the public by forcing gas prices down they'll do so with government subsidies (or in other words a reduction in taxes) which they regain by taxing elsewhere. In other words they don't solve the problem, they just hide it.