A7N8X-X Audio Problems.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A7N8X-X Audio Problems.

A7N8X-X Audio Problems.

Hi all.

I was wondering if anybody could help me, as I'm going absolutley crazy trying to get my Asus A7N8X-X motherboard to produce some sound!

I recently built a new PC using the Asus A7N8X-X motherboard. However, the sound from the back channel only came out of the left speaker. It did give a slight (trebley) noise out of the right speaker if I turned my amp all the way up.

So, that board was sent back. I recieved my new one today and installed it, only to find that it has exactly the same problem!

I have tried both computer-intended speakers and my own. I have also used headphones (which simply don't make any sound).

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Neil.

By the way the front channel audio doesn't work at all!

And how do I get rid of this England under my name? I'm Scottish!
    Last edited by Mobius_17; June 1st, 2004 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius_17
    Hi all.

I was wondering if anybody could help me, as I'm going absolutley crazy trying to get my Asus A7N8X-X motherboard to produce some sound!

I recently built a new PC using the Asus A7N8X-X motherboard. However, the sound from the back channel only came out of the left speaker. It did give a slight (trebley) noise out of the right speaker if I turned my amp all the way up.

So, that board was sent back. I recieved my new one today and installed it, only to find that it has exactly the same problem!

I have tried both computer-intended speakers and my own. I have also used headphones (which simply don't make any sound).

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Neil.

Hi Neil, welcome to Windrivers!

The audio jumper block on these motherboards appears to give the option of EITHER front OR rear speaker sockets. We've deployed quite a few and I haven't yet found a combination of jumpers that will allow both. Nowadays we just don't connect the front audio out cables (leaving the jumpers on the mobo as factory set). (We also remove the socket from the case).

I did investigate deeper and to work, it really requires that the front sockets be arranged to switch when unplugged to replicate the factory jumpers - both the jumpers fitted being in series with each audio channel - remove one jumper & the rear audio disappears from that channel!

No cases we've had in recently have this facility.

The mic socket works as it should as this is a simple parallel connection.

Try replacing the factory jumpers & leaving the front socket disconnected. Both rear channels should then work correctly. If you need to plug in headphones occasionally, without haveing to furkle around at the back of the comp, most speakers these days have a headphone jack for that purpose.

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

You'll also want to use the nForce Tray Utility to define how you want your sound pushed out (5.1, or create a centre channel like I did since I'm too cheap to invest in 5.1).
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Atodini
    Hi Neil, welcome to Windrivers!

The audio jumper block on these motherboards appears to give the option of EITHER front OR rear speaker sockets. We've deployed quite a few and I haven't yet found a combination of jumpers that will allow both. Nowadays we just don't connect the front audio out cables (leaving the jumpers on the mobo as factory set). (We also remove the socket from the case).

I did investigate deeper and to work, it really requires that the front sockets be arranged to switch when unplugged to replicate the factory jumpers - both the jumpers fitted being in series with each audio channel - remove one jumper & the rear audio disappears from that channel!

No cases we've had in recently have this facility.

The mic socket works as it should as this is a simple parallel connection.

Try replacing the factory jumpers & leaving the front socket disconnected. Both rear channels should then work correctly. If you need to plug in headphones occasionally, without haveing to furkle around at the back of the comp, most speakers these days have a headphone jack for that purpose.

John
    Just dissconected the FPA connectors and put the factory jumpers back where they were...

Thank you John! I can't believe I even sent my original motherboard back!

You have no idea how long I have waited to get my PC working properly!

Thanks again, Neil.

You're more than welcome Neil, that is after all why we're here!

As far as I am aware we don't have the Scots flag but I'm sure you can change it for the Union Flag which is there.....

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

Hi you guys. I am sorry, but I do not understand anything of your explanation !
    I own a A7N8X-X rev. 2.0 mobo, I desperatly try to hear some sound on rear AND front loudspeakers at the same time. I used the Realtek utility to configure the Line-in input as a rear LS output. Then, trying any audio source (CD, wave, etc...), I only get sound on front output (i.e. normal output). The only way to get sound on the rear output (i.e. normaly line-in input) is to set a special effect such as reverberation. I cannot get the same sound on both front and rear output simultaneously !
    But I do not understand what you are talking about concerning these jumpers. I do not have any jumpers on my mobo. The only possibility to connect a front panel is to use the dedicated connector, but there is no jumpers on it, and the user manual does not refers to any jumpers setting for the audio !
    Are you really talking about A7N8X-X, or did I miss something ?

Sorry for my poor english....

If you are playing back simple 2 channel stereo, the front speakers are the only ones to get a signal. This applies to CD audio, .wav files, MIDI files etc. The rear speakers only get a signal from a source which has more than 2 channels i.e. DVD movie, DVD audio, games etc. The reason why you got something out of the rear speakers is that the reverb you applied was a 5.1 channel (presumably) to a 2 channel source.
    Hope this clears things up a little.
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

Talking Memory and Sound Problems

Hi Guys and Gals,

Thought I'd throw my post in here as I have just installed the same board and don't have 2 problems..No sound and memory issues.

Firstly, I don't get any sound whatsoever...I don't have a sound card installed and I have left my Front Panel Audio connectors left off (to bloody hard to figure where the damn things go anyway hehe). Has been enabled in BIOS (or set to auto as is the only choice) and drivers updated via ASUS and Realtek websites. The drivers appear to be loaded correctly. Speakers I know work fine as they were with my prior board. Have also payed around with the Realtek sound config but no joy :-( Any ideas guys? Oh yeh...Have checked the volume controls ;-)

Secondly, when I boot I get 'Memory Frequency is at 200mhz, Single Channel Mode' I have 2 x 256MB 400 Hynix. BIOS was set to 'Auto' which detects at 100mhz and 'By SPD' which detects at 200mhz. I have flashed the BIOS also and tried various ram bays. ummm not sure what other info I can give...Hope its enough to maybe get an idea?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
    Skip!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius_17
    Hi all.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Neil.

What motherboard is it?

Can't help with the sound bit, but the memory bit, here goes.
    auto to 100mhz sounds like the fronside bus, which controls the cpu and pci/agp buses. Ther memory is controlled differently, by the user or by spd.

SPD (serial presence device) is a small chip on the RAM that contains the specs and how it will work with your motherboard. So it knows what speed, frequency and voltages your memory is.

Nforce boards have a memory contoller that supports dual channel, basically you can read and write to the memory at the same time. Which improves performance and makes it seem faster.

You probably have 3 dimm slots on your board. 1 and 3 are set for dual and support a max of 2gb or there abouts. If you have your dimms in slot 1 and 2 it reverts to single channel or normal mode. If you move the dimm in the middle slot to the free outside slot. it should boot with a 'dual bank' message.

Use the 2 similar coloured slots, in a nutshell.
    Last edited by a d e p t; June 23rd, 2004 at 03:41 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Sorry - X version doesn't have the different colours, does it?

How's this?
    Last edited by a d e p t; June 23rd, 2004 at 03:39 PM.

Adept, a pick and mix there :-))

i have a dfi nfinty but my mem bombs on dual channel so i run it single at 332mhz, stable but it picks up my xp2500 as a 3200 so i'm not too fussed..

Still Problems...ASUS A7N8X-X

Hi Tommo/Adept

I use an ASUS A7N8X-X.

Thanks for your help....I tried both the variations with my DIMM slots and I'm still running on single channel? I'm now using 2 and 3. Theres an option in BIOS for 'FSB Spectrum'?? This is currently disabled. Maybe theres something else I need to change?

oh oh! It also reads my 2600 AMD chip as 1150mhz!!

Gee I have some bad luck!!

Cheers :-)
    Jade

Quote Originally Posted by tommo666
    What motherboard is it?

Can't help with the sound bit, but the memory bit, here goes.
    auto to 100mhz sounds like the fronside bus, which controls the cpu and pci/agp buses. Ther memory is controlled differently, by the user or by spd.

SPD (serial presence device) is a small chip on the RAM that contains the specs and how it will work with your motherboard. So it knows what speed, frequency and voltages your memory is.

Nforce boards have a memory contoller that supports dual channel, basically you can read and write to the memory at the same time. Which improves performance and makes it seem faster.

You probably have 3 dimm slots on your board. 1 and 3 are set for dual and support a max of 2gb or there abouts. If you have your dimms in slot 1 and 2 it reverts to single channel or normal mode. If you move the dimm in the middle slot to the free outside slot. it should boot with a 'dual bank' message.

Sorry I tell a lie...I'm using slots 1 & 3, not 2 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hi Tommo/Adept

I use an ASUS A7N8X-X.

Thanks for your help....I tried both the variations with my DIMM slots and I'm still running on single channel? I'm now using 2 and 3. Theres an option in BIOS for 'FSB Spectrum'?? This is currently disabled. Maybe theres something else I need to change?

oh oh! It also reads my 2600 AMD chip as 1150mhz!!

Gee I have some bad luck!!

Cheers :-)
    Jade

Are your RAM sticks approved by the motherboard vendor? Asus has a list on its site.

It does indeed appear like the FSB is not properly configured for your CPU. Try to reset the motherboard to Aggressive settings in the BIOS.