MS-6330 ver: 2.1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MS-6330 ver: 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by mplark
    Mr. Duke, I have one of these boards now myself and I can't figure out how to get the power switch to connect to the board. How did you get yours to work? THANK YOU!
    Welcome to WD mplark .

Did you try the link in the post you replied to ?
    little ways down "Front Panel Connections ;
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51017422.shtml
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

More 6330

Yes. Upon studying it, I believe I've figured out where to put the Power Switch lead. Still have to try it. Do you know if there's a WinXP BIOS for this board?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    Welcome to WD mplark .

Did you try the link in the post you replied to ?
    little ways down "Front Panel Connections ;
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51017422.shtml

A WinXP bios? Not quite sure what you mean by that. The original Gateway-bios does not need to be flashed to newest version to work with this mobo, if that's what you mean.

Yes. Upon studying it, I believe I've figured out where to put the Power Switch lead. Still have to try it. Do you know if there's a WinXP BIOS for this board?
    There is no special bios for an OS! Just plug the lead in and boot it up. If you have any particular problems, you might need a BIOS update, but you do NOT need one for an OS! So, when you try it, let us know how it goes.

I disagree... there are features of XP that can only be implemented if the bios is can handle it.... for instance ACPI. This is also true of Windows 2000.

Gateway may have an updated bios on their site, or if it is a standard msi motherboard, a bios update will be available at msi. The bios must be the correct bios for the motherboard. Flashing the bios with something that looks the same will cause the motherboard to become a deadboard.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Angry Blue Screen Of Death

Well... I used up all of my patience on that rascal yesterday! I've installed Win2k Pro, SP4, and all 27 (!! Yes, 27 !!) Critical Updates and now, when I boot, I get a blue screen of death and the ominous statement, "beginning dump of physical memory." (In the Win98 days, the "windows protection error" was reserved for me.) I spent an entire day on it yesterday. I can boot if I do F8 boot options and enable VGA mode.

Anyhow, suppose I chuck Win2k and try WinXP? Do you think I have a higher probability of success?

I'm using a T-bird 1200 mHz CPU, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I disagree... there are features of XP that can only be implemented if the bios is can handle it.... for instance ACPI. This is also true of Windows 2000.

Gateway may have an updated bios on their site, or if it is a standard msi motherboard, a bios update will be available at msi. The bios must be the correct bios for the motherboard. Flashing the bios with something that looks the same will cause the motherboard to become a deadboard.
    Last edited by mplark; July 29th, 2004 at 09:48 AM.

If you have 256mb ram or more, go for it.... but clean install - do not upgrade. You may still need an updated bios for acpi to work properly, or you can press f5 when it asks to press f6 for scsi drivers and select a standard hal.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Updated BIOS

Does anybody know of the specific existence of an updated BIOS for this board? MSI does NOT have one. Gateway might, I suppose, but I've yet to find it.

I'd asked about OS-specific BIOSes because of an experience with an AT mobo (FIC 503+) which was right at the cusp of where mobo makers stopped supporting newer OSes. This board doesn't shut down properly under 2k/XP. Not a biggie, and off-topic.

!!! THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR CHEERFUL WILLINGNESS TO HELP !!!

P.S. I'm using 512 MB of RAM with the T-bird.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    If you have 256mb ram or more, go for it.... but clean install - do not upgrade. You may still need an updated bios for acpi to work properly, or you can press f5 when it asks to press f6 for scsi drivers and select a standard hal.

This board doesn't shut down properly under 2k/XP. Not a biggie, and off-topic.

Very much on topic - this is what the bios update would hopefully address

You can get round that problem - go into device manager, under system devices and enable the nt apm device that is disabled.

edit gateway bios for the oxnard (msi 6330)

I am pretty sure that is the one, but if I am wrong and you toast the bios flash, sorry, but it's not my fault ok?
    Last edited by NooNoo; July 29th, 2004 at 02:54 PM.

Angry Need help with MSI K7T Pro MS-6330 VIA KT133 motherboard

Mr. Duke, I have one of these boards now myself and I can't figure out how to get the power switch to connect to the board. How did you get yours to work? THANK YOU!
    Yes please, could someone translate the information on the gateway website and tell me or walk me through how to orient my connectors for the power switch, reset swith, hdd, etc.. I read it but without a graphical representation of how they are placed, I'm afraid I'm a bit lost.

Thanks!
    Eileen (empathiccelt@yahoo)

(re: http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51017422.shtml)

OK, on the picture you see down one side is written j2 then 1, then 2 and on the other side of the pins is written 16

These are the pin numbers - along the top are pins (reading from top left to right)
    underneath are pins
    16,14,12,10,8,6,4,2 (note that pin 14 is missing)

Now match the table underneath with the wires/connectors you have and plug them in over the right pins. I don't know what your case plugs are marked as, so I cannot advise further. Some are one solid plug altogether, others are individual pins, some are 2 or 3 pins in a block.

I was wondering if you figured out the orientation of your connectors. Fed-Ex dropped my board off an hour ago and I can't figure out the orientation. Well.... I thought I figured it out, but no juice to the board when I push the power buton.

Lightbulb Setting up the MS 6330 Ver:2.1

Look at the picture that NooNoo posted. There's a little number one printed next to the Number One pin. When the board is installed, the rows of pins are on the lower RH corner of the board, parallel with the floor of the computer case. Number One is on the RIGHT and the pins are numbered from RIGHT TO LEFT. The odd numbers are on top and the evens are on the bottom.

HDD indicator light: 1 & 3
    Reset Switch: 5 & 7
    Power Switch: 6 & 8
    Power Light: 9 & 13 (Caviat: My case power light burned out soon after I plugged it in. No promises on this one.)

Sometimes, I've found that in MATTERS which lead goes on which pin, especially with the HDD indicator LED. If it doesn't work the first time, turn the plug around.

Let me know if that works

This is a wierd board which nobody seems to support. It comes from Gateway and was used in some sort of stripped-down business machine. I can't get Windows 2000 to get along with it, haven't tried XP yet. Let me (us) know how it goes.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ez4u2chere
    I was wondering if you figured out the orientation of your connectors. Fed-Ex dropped my board off an hour ago and I can't figure out the orientation. Well.... I thought I figured it out, but no juice to the board when I push the power buton.

Thumbs up

Wow, that was fast, and it appears to have worked. My LED's aren't on, but it's powered up and running. I probably just have to swap the connectors around. Thanks a lot for your help!

! Bueno ! Which operating system are you planning to use?

Quote Originally Posted by ez4u2chere
    Wow, that was fast, and it appears to have worked. My LED's aren't on, but it's powered up and running. I probably just have to swap the connectors around. Thanks a lot for your help!