Slow 2003 server

Thread: Slow 2003 server

Unhappy Slow 2003 server

Ok here is the Skinny
    I installed a 2003 server in an office that already had a 2000 NAS box.
    I copied the data over to the new server and when you login to a pc on the network but it takes longer to access the data in a directory on the new server but not on the NAS.

I do have AD installed (but not realy using it) I just map the drives that we need to access .

ex. on the old server a directory comes up in 2 sec. on the new server it takes 25 sec.

Thanks for the input..

arf

Sounds like DNS isn't setup correctly. What are the PC's logging into as far as a domain? When they get their IP information, what is their DNS server assigned?

Good point, in the past I havent had to setup the DNS on the server.

First of all I don't have the users logging on to the domain. I just have the user ID auth. thru the server.

I have a SMC fire wall that is handing out the the DHCP and I kinda want to keep it this way.

If I go thru the configuration again of the DNS what would you suggest for me to take a look at to make sure that it is setup correctly.

Thanks

Well, if you have AD installed on the server, then you more than likely installed DNS.

Here’s a quick test, use a PC on the network, and set it to use this server as the DNS Primary (in other words, don’t let it pickup the dynamic settings from the firewall, insert the static IP of the server). Then try to access the Internet with this PC. If it works, that means that the root hints on the server are setup correctly (they are there by default when you install DNS). If internal network performance on this PC picks up especially to the new server, then you know that DNS was your problem. Then, reset the PC to dynamic, go back to the firewall and configure it to hand out the internal DNS server as the primary, and you should see performance where you expected it in the first place, once all PC’s renew their lease.

Tried it did not seem to make a diff.
    Any other Ideas?

If this all has to to with AD can I uninstall AD off the server and somhow keep the user accounts. (I am doing this remotly and if I loose my admin account I won't beable to get back in.

I think it may revolve around IP addressing. I had a problem with slow response which turned out to be the client requiring IP address of server in TCP properties fields DNS and Gateway

Cool

I have had the exact same issue and am still looking for a resolution. I am trying some new things this evening and if I find any answers I will reply here.

Perhaps a bug into Microsoft for this article:

You may experience slow performance by some programs after you upgrade to Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Because it is a supported hotfix that you must contact them for assistance with, that might get you a service ticket should the hotfix not work. Once you are in through that back door, charges don’t typically incur, even for OEM installations. But you never know, the hotfix may straighten you right up!

Good luck, and keep us posted…