Reagan Family & Dub'ya Rift
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Reagan Family & Dub'ya Rift

Reagan Family & Dub'ya Rift

Here's the link;
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/15/politics/15memo.html

But for those of you who aren't members of the NY Times:

Reaganite by Association? His Family Won't Allow It

During a funeral for his father, Ron Reagan chastised politicians who mixed religion and politics.

By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG

Published: June 15, 2004

WASHINGTON, June 14 - As Republicans try to cloak President Bush in the mantle of Ronald Reagan, their biggest obstacle may be Mr. Reagan's own family.

Even before Mr. Reagan died, Nancy Reagan and her daughter, Patti Davis, made their opposition to Mr. Bush's policy on stem-cell research well known. But on Friday, at the culmination of an emotional week of mourning for the former president, his son Ron Reagan delivered a eulogy that castigated politicians who use religion "to gain political advantage," a comment that was being interpreted in Washington as a not-so-subtle slap at Mr. Bush.

The remark has provoked intense debate among Republicans about precisely what the younger Mr. Reagan meant. Some saw the reference to religion as a message to the administration on stem-cell research. Others saw it as a possible critique of the war in Iraq. Still others insist there was no deeper message at all.

But a friend of the Reagan family, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Mr. Reagan, who did not return a call seeking comment on Monday, was deeply uncomfortable with the way the Bush administration intertwined religion and politics and felt compelled to say so at the burial of his father, a ceremony watched by millions.

"I think he was making a more profound statement about style," this friend said, "and the danger of religion in politics."

First families often cause trouble for presidents. Jimmy Carter, Richard M. Nixon and Bill Clinton each had brothers who made them uncomfortable from time to time. But rarely does the family of one president step on the toes of another. The Reagans and Bushes, who have had famously strained relations throughout the years, may be an exception, as Nancy Reagan and her children guard Ronald Reagan's legacy, fending off efforts by both the right and left to trade on it for political gain.

"I think Nancy would not want that," said Barbara Kellerman, a Harvard expert on leadership who has written a book on first families. "She is not mad about the Bush family, and the last thing she intends is for W. to inherit her beloved and sanctified husband's mantle."

Ron Reagan, a television commentator who has frequently been critical of Mr. Bush, has already said as much. In 2000, he fired a shot at Mr. Bush in Philadelphia during the Republican convention, which featured a tribute to his father. "What's his accomplishment?" Mr. Reagan asked then. "That he's no longer an obnoxious drunk?"

Last year, in an interview with the online magazine Salon, Mr. Reagan renewed his critique, making clear his distaste for the Bush administration.

"The Bush people have no right to speak for my father, particularly because of the position he's in now," Mr. Reagan said then. "Yes, some of the current policies are an extension of the 80's. But the overall thrust of this administration is not my father's - these people are overly reaching, overly aggressive, overly secretive and just plain corrupt. I don't trust these people."

Mr. Reagan was not quite so pointed on Friday night. "Dad was also a deeply, unabashedly religious man," he told mourners gathered at sunset at the Reagan presidential library. "But he never made the fatal mistake of so many politicians - wearing his faith on his sleeve to gain political advantage. True, after he was shot and nearly killed early in his presidency he came to believe that God had spared him in order that he might do good. But he accepted that as a responsibility, not a mandate. And there is a profound difference."

The remarks caused jaws to drop in California and Washington. One Republican strategist, who would not be identified for fear of repercussions to his business, said he interpreted the remarks as a clear reference to stem-cell research, which Mr. Bush opposes on moral grounds because they require the destruction of human embryos.

"I thought clearly Ron Jr. was sending a message to the administration to be tolerant and understanding of this issue," the strategist said.

He said he was also struck by Mr. Bush's eulogy during the service at the National Cathedral. "I thought his speech was deliberately biographical in nature about Reagan, to try to show people that his biography is close to Bush's."
    Last edited by Orangeman; June 16th, 2004 at 07:38 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

This is great. Thank you so much for posting this.
    Hello World

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Thank you, Ron Jr. for showing that Bush is not a Republican but a Neo-Con with radical policies which were NOT Reagans.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Regan's kids were all fruitcakes. If you want to bring this out now, they were all idiots...all of them. It means something that he used this opportunity, speaking at his adopted fathers funeral, to fulfill a political agenda. This is hypocrisy at it's best, because he is morning, no one can take a stab at him, right? Well f^<k that, he was an idiot long ago, and an idiot now.

They want to use this as an effort to bring more attention to a study on the human form in ways that are truly playing god, and I commend Bush for curtailing this research so that we have time to think before we go too far.

Oh my, now this one is a biggie: Bush and the "family" Reagan are at odds over Stem Cell Reasearch. Oh my....what will become of the Republican Party????

All three of you owe us your answer to one easy question, Orange, techs, and webman.

Where do you stand on the issue of stem cell research? Research on embryo’s…?

I think you all realize the ramifications of such research, and you don't even know it yet. You are so quick to jump on any effort to bash Bush, you don't even think before you do. If you honestly think we should be doing this without strict federal guidelines and boundaries you are sick and crazy.

Ron is displeased with Bush's position on this because of his fathers past illness, he's been at Bush's throat for a long time about this. The way I see this, it's a highly influential situation, and a conflict of interest, and shouldn't be raised as the issue that because Ron and family of misfit siblings don't agree with Bush, we should follow suit. Hell, most of the time they didn't ever agree with their own father, that being Ronald senior!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Oh my, now this one is a biggie: Bush and the "family" Reagan are at odds over Stem Cell Reasearch. Oh my....what will become of the Republican Party????
    So tell us , I know you want to .
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Nah. Ya_know already asked the question of these "liberals" with an agenda all their own. Let's here what they have to say.

PS
    Pappy, I was being ironic and sarcastic, if you hadn't noticed....but, I think you did.
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Regan's kids were all fruitcakes. If you want to bring this out now, they were all idiots...all of them. It means something that he used this opportunity, speaking at his adopted fathers funeral, to fulfill a political agenda. This is hypocrisy at it's best, because he is morning, no one can take a stab at him, right? Well f^<k that, he was an idiot long ago, and an idiot now.They want to use this as an effort to bring more attention to a study on the human form in ways that are truly playing god, and I commend Bush for curtailing this research so that we have time to think before we go too far.
    I'm glad to hear you say this Ya_know. For the first time You and I agree. I think Reagan's kids were all fruitcakes, Nancy & her Astrologer were Fruitcakes, and Reagan and his "Trickle-down" Economics were the icing on the cakes.

Also, you don't know a damn thing about stem-cell research.....It already being used to cure patients suffering from serious ulcers. The only reason you guys object to it because it shows a good use of an abortion...

What'sa matter, were you almost aborted...
    Bouncy Bouncy

I think that Bush should be commended for sticking to his guns and not allowing the Reagans to push an agenda which is against his beliefs.

(I would rather have a man in the Oval office who sticks to his beliefs instead of one who believes in abortion, homosexual unions and still claims he is a Catholic.)
    I am Scuzzlebutt, Lord of the Mountains, behold my Patrick Duffy leg!

What'sa matter Trip, Why did you change your post?????

Does Ya_know intimidate you?

He does it deliberately....Ya_Know...
    Bouncy Bouncy

Huh? What, are you retarded or something?
    What did I change?

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Nah. Ya_know already asked the question of these "liberals" with an agenda all their own. Let's here what they have to say.

PS
    Pappy, I was being ironic and sarcastic, if you hadn't noticed....but, I think you did.
    ;-)
    What , me being able to read between the lines , nah , oh wait I had my reading glasses on so I did .
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

PS
    Answer the question:
    What does this have to do with ANYTHING about the coming election?

Ya_know,.. to answer your question, I'm all for stem cell research. I'm also for abortion.

I could go into more explanation, but this is going to turn into an AMD vs Intel debate so why waste the energy. Anyway,.. thats where I stand on those issues.
    Hello World