Pentium Pro HD Probs.

Thread: Pentium Pro HD Probs.

Post Pentium Pro HD Probs.

Hi, I got a Pentium Pro 200MHz system but it appears my HD controllers on the board are dead. It will detect the HD ok in the Bios but when it goes to boot up off of it, it says I/O Error. I know the harddrive works cause I plugged it in to another computer and was able to read it fine. Does the PPro require a special kind of HD? This HD is just a small Connor 1.6Gig. Don't know the make or model of the MB, bought it from www.computersurplusoutlet.com (don't buy from them, I won't again).

Thanks,
    Eric
    I'm Homer of Borg...Resistance is fut....Mmmmmm...Donuts...

Boot the system up on a floppy and see if you can do a directory command to read C:
    Also you must configure the drive in you bios
    Make sure the ribbon cable is on and fully seated ( Red stripe lines up with pin 1 )
    Once you boot up on the floppy type c: then type dir, If you get a list of files the drive is working if you get an IO error then some thing is messed up
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

I would also reset the bios to defaults and try a different IDE cable.

Also, if the drive is not originally from the machine then you might have a drive that is partitioned in a way different then what your bois is seeing it as. Does the motherboard only not see this drive wrong or any drive you throw at it?

You could try installing the drive on IDE2 on your board , reconfigure the CMOS settings and try to boot from there . I would do as recommended in other posts , replace the ribbon cable , double check your CMOS settings to be sure the drive is recognised properly and it is set to boot to C: . You might also try removing all cards and drives except the video and C: drive , if it boots , reconnect things one at time untill you find the problem.
    Eric , when you tried the drive in the other computer , you say " I was able to read it fine " , did you set it as master and actually boot to it , or was it set as a slave.......what I'm getting at is the error may be in the boot sector ..

Format C:
    Haven't tried the boot disk yet. I have checked the IDE cable. Will try the Boot Disk tonight.

Lysergic:
    The bios is at defaults and I tried a 2nd IDE Cable. The bios reads the HD correctly with correct Sectors, Heads and drive size. I plugged in another hard drive that I know runs into the computer and it also recieved an I/O error.

Rkring1:
    I tried it on IDE2, the Bios detects it ok but then seems to lock the computer up after the memory countdown. This is a new computer that I am putting together so there is nothing in it but 4 8MB 72PIN EDO Ram Chips and a 2mb Triton Video Card. No I did not try to boot off of the hard drive as a master. I made it a slave and read from it that way.

If you think of anything else let me know. I am guessing that the HD Controller card onboard the MB is dead. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any wierd HD requirement for PPro's. (First one I ever seen)

Thanks All,
    Eric

Originally posted by eedmond:
    Format C:
    Haven't tried the boot disk yet. I have checked the IDE cable. Will try the Boot Disk tonight.

Lysergic:
    The bios is at defaults and I tried a 2nd IDE Cable. The bios reads the HD correctly with correct Sectors, Heads and drive size. I plugged in another hard drive that I know runs into the computer and it also recieved an I/O error.

Rkring1:
    I tried it on IDE2, the Bios detects it ok but then seems to lock the computer up after the memory countdown. This is a new computer that I am putting together so there is nothing in it but 4 8MB 72PIN EDO Ram Chips and a 2mb Triton Video Card. No I did not try to boot off of the hard drive as a master. I made it a slave and read from it that way.

If you think of anything else let me know. I am guessing that the HD Controller card onboard the MB is dead. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any wierd HD requirement for PPro's. (First one I ever seen)

Thanks All,
    Eric
    Uhm, in order to read the drive, it has to be set at master. OR was it set at master when it wouldn't boot?
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Umm... These hard drives are so old they are by default masters. They can't be switched to slaves if I wanted them to they don't have any jumpers. Well one of them does. But that isn't the problem, I am pretty sure.

-Eric

Pent.Pro cpus do not have any special requirements for the hard drive , set up just like regular Pentium .I think I would 0 fill the hard drive , fdisk and reformat and try to reload your operating system.Have you tried to get it to boot in safe mode or isn't it getting that far ??If you can do that , go into the registry and delete the ENUM key and reboot. Windows will find and reinstall the hardware.

It isn't going that far. Won't read the HD at all. I bought a HD controller card last night but it does less the the MB does. The MB at least detects the correct size and type of HD but the controller card won't even do that. Think I got a bummer card or a card that only works on AT systems. This MB is a ATX.

-Eric

Darren Wilson

If I remember correctly the Connor drives had tiny row of jumpers on the PCB underneath similar to what some SCSI drives have.

What model Connor drive is this?

Would have to look at the Model number when I get home. Does anybody know if HD controller cards are specific to the AT or ATX bus of a MB? The card I bought says something about 2 IDE HD Controller (AT Bus) I don't know if that is a requirement for the MB to be a AT bus or that the card is based on a AT Bus controller? Also the card is a ISA card. Should I return it and get the newer PCI based card? The PPro board has both ISA and PCI slots.

-Eric

I'd wait a bit on the controller card , if it really is your motherboard , you can usually find a new Pent.Pro board on e-Bay for $20. May be even cheaper now , its been a while since I bought one.
    Just did a quick check , its about $20 or less plus postage , AT or ATX if you use the BuyItNow feature.I still think the problem is in the drive though , try Darrens suggestion and look up the jumper setting info.

Well I bought the controller card already. I returned the controller card that I had that I posted about earlier. The PC shop said the controller card was busted and they said it was a refurb. So for $10 bucks I bought a newer ATA 100 card and was able to plug the card into the board plug the HD to the card and wam I was in windows. I eventually did get the A: drive fixed on the MB. So it appears that the IDE Controller card on the MB was shot. Stupid wholesaler company. DONT BUY FROM COMPUTERSURPLUSOUTLET.COM!!!

-Eric