A7NX8-DLX audio question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A7NX8-DLX audio question

A7NX8-DLX audio question

Hi guys, searching around there appears to be a number of experienced Users of this MOBO. I have been using the nForce2 drivers from ASUS but tried recently to use the latest flavour from nVidia. The sound was better but I could not get my mic to work. Seeing how when online I use TeamSpeak a lot, a definite must.

Anyone else try or are using Nvidia AllinOne drivers with the board and have a working mic.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    If speed kills, then I'm already dead

I'm using the nVidia Unified Drivers v. 4.24 also and had not yet realized I had this problem.

Playing around with the NVMixer indicated that there are management functions for a "second" mike, but nothing helped in restoring it so far.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I just read at NForcersHP.com that reoading the drivers manually for all audio components listed in the Device Manager may solve the problem

This is apparently taken from the FAQ:

Q. I just installed the nVidia nForce UDP v.2.00 driver package but I don’t have any sound. What’s wrong?
    A. ASUS has a customized version of the MCP-T southbridge. They added a few extra features to the APU, which required them to change the device ID's of the APU. These drivers do not have these custom device ID's in their INF files so the drivers do not get installed. The drivers are fine to use, and work perfectly with this board, however you must install them manually. Open your device manager by right clicking on My Computer>manage>device manager and installing the drivers manually for all the sound devices in your system. Recently ASUS came up with a version 1.16 package, which despite the lower version number, is actually newer, then the 2.00 package and it is recommended you install those as the custom device ID's are no longer and issue and manual installation is no longer necessary. These drivers also resolve other issues, some of which are outlined in this FAQ.

Q. What’s in this 'custom MCP-T' from ASUS then?
    A. The current list of customizations that ASUS has done to the MCP-T is as follows:

TAD (
    modem/speakerphone) now shows up as an option

Microphone 2 becomes the default Microphone device

SPDIF In support is enabled if the I/O bracket is available

Currently this is all we know that has changed from the 'default' MCP-T. At the time of this writing, it’s not 100% clear on all the effects that these options have, besides the obvious. However, it can be said that if you do not use sound drivers released by ASUS that you will lose these options and your board will behave as one with a 'default' MCP-T. If the customized features of the APU do not affect you then you wont notice either way. However, if you use any of the features listed above you'll have to decide if using an nVidia nForce Reference driver is worth the not having those features.

Am trying it now.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Manually re-installing ("updating", if you will, from the Device Manager) only worked for the MPU 401 entry which now reads nVidia nForce MIDI UART.

The microphone remains inactive and is not even available in the Windows Sound Settings.

Must dig deeper...

Wow, I was beginning to think there was something I had done wrong, a jumper or something that needed to be moved. Even though there is no fix, yet. I am relived to know it's not only me. I use the Zalman 5.1 headset with my system and the sound was much better with the unified, but alas, no mic. I will note, during boot I could hear my voice in my headset, until windows loaded.

I have been trying to find some information on programming those 1/8' connectors on the back. It may be what's needed, though obviously not sure or I wouldn't be asking.

Thanks for the info so far. Got to love the forum community.

I'm fairly certain it's just a question of getting the drivers loaded in Windows, but I don't have the time to look into it right now.

Will get back to this a bit later on.

For the record, the drivers were installed properly as I checked and confirmed each one while I was trying to resolve the issue. I will say I do prefer the older control panel to the new but then again, the sound was better.

If you read the quote I posted, you'll notice that some of the drivers cannot be installed the usual way (just launching the nVidia installer), as Asus uses customizations which are not taken into account by nVidia's Unified Driver.

That's why I manually "updated" all of the devices under the Sound Card section of Device Manager, and got the MIDI port to be properly installed.

Unfortunately, I was unable to do the same with the microphone.

For now.

Please mellow.... I checked to make sure everything worked, including midi. I did read your post. Sorry if I was misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Momoman907
    Please mellow.... I checked to make sure everything worked, including midi. I did read your post. Sorry if I was misunderstood.
    Always mellow.

No offense meant and none taken.

Except when I'm referring to Charmin.

Wandering aimlessly thru my own dementia.

Cool Had the same problem.

Running this same MB myself and use the latest Unified nForce driver from nVidia's site.

In the Sound settings under the Control Panel there is a check box for "Microphone Boost". Sorry, I'm at work at the moment and don't remember exactly where it is. But checking that box and playing with the line-in and microphone volume settings got me up and running on TeamSpeak just fine.

When I get home tonight, I'll try to find the exact settings I used.

Sys Specs:
    ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe (latest nVidia nForce drivers)
    ASUS GeForce5900Ultra video (latest ASUS drivers)
    120GB SATA HDD
    1GB RAM

Welcome to WD, Thag.

I had remeoved the boost from my own settings, as it caused my some problems with Intellivoice.

I'll try that tonight.

Thanks for the welcome.

I haven't used Intellivoice, so I really can't say if it'll work with the boost turned on. Might be fun to find out, though.
    St. Atala raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying "Oh, Lord! Bless this, thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Hi Thag, hope you find the time to post your settings and I also wish to know if the Nvidia allinone went in without issue as mine did. Or did you have to do them one at a time manually. I'd really like to use the newer drivers as they sounded so much better with my Zalman 5.1 headset.

Ok. I'm using WinXP Pro. Since I recently had to do a wipe and rebuild, I downloaded all the latest and greatest device drivers and loaded everything fresh. I used the all-in-one nForce driver from nVidia's site with no issues (except that it now requires the latest DirectX be loaded first).

As for settings:

Under Control Panel ->
    Sounds and Audio Devices Properties ->
    Volume tab -> Device Volume Advanced button ->
    Microphone Advanced button ->
    check the box for "Microphone Boost" (may have to go to the Options menu and select "Advanced Controls" to get the Advanced buttons to show up).

Also, on the dialog box with all the volume sliders, under Options -> Properties you can select whether you're adjusting the volume for Playback or Recording. I set the Microphone Boost under both and cranked the volume sliders for Microphone and Line In for both all the way up. I use the volume controls in TeamSpeak to control my output volume.

Ok, time to go get Intellivoice and see what kind of cool toys it has.

Hope this helps!
    St. Atala raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying "Oh, Lord! Bless this, thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."