A New Win 2003 Cluster? Any tips?

Thread: A New Win 2003 Cluster? Any tips?

Question A New Win 2003 Cluster? Any tips?

We've just purchased a new HP Proliant DL380 Cluster with Win2003 to replace our knackered NT4 cluster. I can sense that its going to fall on me to build the system and get everything transferred but as of yet I don't have any experience of 2003 except reading the occasional white paper.

What I'm wondering is does anyone have any practical advice, tips or potential gotchas they would care to share about 2003 Server that would be usefull? Anythings good

If you're going in fresh from NT to 2003, get ready for some BIG changes. It's really a whole new world. Learn it Live it Love it.
    If you can't get yourself any quick formal training, buy yourself a good admin handbook to keep handy.
    Vote DrewmazTech for President!

"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

2003 Cluster build

If you do a search on the on Microsoft you will find the Guide to Creating and configuring a Server Cluster under windows Server 2003. It's a 50 page document that covers the entire process. Read it and set the 2 machines up with the storage unit you are going to use and go through the steps one by one. In other words test and practice it. Find what gotcha's you find. Remember though that since you are working with an NT 4.0 domain you will need to set up your service accounts on the 4.0 domain controller and use these instead of the active directory stuff they have in this handbook. DO NOT make the cluster a domain controller or you will have made an AD domain on the NT 4.0 Domain and you will be looking for another job! Let them stay as plain servers. Here is the link.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../confclus.mspx

There is also a wealth of infor mation there and some on HP's site.

Hope this helps.

Kevins47 from the Volunteer state

Thats what I was after. Thanks for the link mate!

Ive actually just built the cluster so I at least I can now chedk with the document to find out my errors!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts
    Thats what I was after. Thanks for the link mate!

Ive actually just built the cluster so I at least I can now chedk with the document to find out my errors!
    That's great! You will notice in the back an entire section on testing the cluster and making sure everything is okay. Good luck!!