Windows 2003 Login Password

Thread: Windows 2003 Login Password

Unhappy Windows 2003 Login Password

Hi Guys,
    I hope I can get some help here. I don't know if this is something stupid on my part or if its a known issue.
    I have a test box to which I was trying to do a clean install of W2k3. I had selected the "Per Seat" licence tab during the install and noticed that after that, I never received any screen for any of my cuztomizations or personalizing of Windows. (where it asks for comp name, admin pw, network settings and all that good stuff). All I got in the GUI during the install was the screen for Lic Key (entered the Vol. Lic Key frm my work) and screen to cuztomize my keyboard.

I have tried installing from scratch on 2 different hard drives and have got the same issue where after the install, it comes to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen and asks me to login. I DID NOT SET ANY LOCAL ADMIN PASSWORD as I never had the screen come up during the setup. I can't go anywhere beyond this screen and am really frustrated as the damn install takes a long time too. There are no errors during the installation whatsoever and comes right at the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen after it is completed.

I am really stumped with this issue. Could somebody please help me out here ? Thanks...any feedback/help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    BigB

Welcome to Windrivers BigB

per seat requires a licence pack did you try installing in per server mode?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It almost sounds as if you have a custom setup via the volume install. Have you checked with the guys that gave you the software (for training purposes I am sure)? They may have syspreped the install somehow to already have a default password and the other basics for their environment…

NooNoo, The licensing for CAL's shouldn't matter, he should still be able to login locally following the install without CAL’s. Additionally, adding CAL's has nothing to with the setup not asking for admin password during setup...

Guys...I appreciate your feedbacks. You know I was thinking that my selection of the licenses was the only thing that could have been different as that was the only GUI screen I got to actually make my choice. But then that doesn't make much sense either as I checked with another admin at work here..and he had got thru all the screens. So it is not a custom prepped CD...I am really stumped as the only variable w/ me is my PC w/ an IDE drive ? I have done quite a few OS installs in the past and this is very odd. I could try reinstalling the 3rd time and it really sux as it takes a long @$$ time to complete...any other suggestions guys ?
    Thanks for all your help/time.

BigB

Long time to complete? How long?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Did you Delete the partition, then create a new one during install, letting windows format to NTFS? That would be to ensure there isn't any other version of windows on the partition to begin with...but then the setup should recognize if there was one, and tell you...man, I am confused by this to the point I would have to see this to believe it...I am sure there is an explanation, I just don't know what it is right now that's for sure!

Believe me...I din trust myself first time either thinking I might have forgotten the password and stuff...and so re installed it on a different hard drive. Yes, both the times, I deleted the partitions, created new ones, and formatted w/ NTFS. The installation goes just fine without any errors and that throws me off. (took about 4 hrs or so on a PII 500 Mhz, 512mb RAM, IDE HD-20 gb) I does go thru the whole 100 % install but then I was reading the installation notes on MS Site too...and right after the CD key, Keyboard screen, I should get the other customizations screens and thats what I din get. It took me right thru the install and back to the Ctrl+Alt+Del scrn.

I din mention before: Initially I had a bad memory chip on the PC and so I used to get lot of errors, so replaced the DIMM, reset the BIOS and started the whole new install. But I doubt the bad memory module would have to do anything w/ the install, as this time the PC recognized the good new chip, and also completed w/o any errors. :"( I would wanna hate to repeat this **** again and find out that I'm stuck at the same Ctrl+Alt+Del scrn w/o knowing the reason....uuuurrrggggggghhhhhhhh....thnks guys...lemme knw wat yall think

BigB.

Guys,
    What are the chances of Windows Server running fine if I install on one of the Hard drives and then take that drive out and use in another PC ? Will I have to do any config changes ? As I think I had done that before and I just got Physcial dumps...wud just get the Blue scrn for a sec or so and then reboot again.. please letme knw...thankx

Hey Guys..knw what...I tried installing the server on another drive of mine but this time in a different box (633mhz Celeron, 192 mb RAM) and it was done in like 1/2 hr. It was fast...and this time I got all the screens as I am suppose to. I keyed in my password this time and worked great. It makes me think something on that old box of mine...cud b memory ? I could try installing differnt chips and give it a shot again tonite.

What are my chances of taking this new drive that I installed server on and take that in the old box and see if it works there ?

Thanks,
    BigB

It's called install windows 98 on that old box or throw it away...

Ya_know dude...i could finally get thru the damn install man...it was the licensing choice...i selected the per seat one this time as I had done on the other box and it worked fine this time. Although, the drive din work from the earlier installation, so am doing the install again and so far it looks good.
    So just learnt something new. Since the licensing was for "per seat" and not "per server" the installation did not work right either....

Thanks for all your help & feedbacks..

BigB

4 hours is wayyyy to long - you have a hardware problem on that box. It won't matter what os you stick on there, it will be cranky.