No sound in xp home

Thread: No sound in xp home

No sound in xp home

A system i'm working on thats running xp home with sp1 + updates and also has 3 profiles under each one i've got the following problem that has me stummped, under device manager all the onboard sound drivers are listed as they should be, but in sounds and audio devices properties then under the audio tabb all it lists in sound playback is modem #0 line playback, in sound recording it lists modem #0 line record, you can click the little drop down box but there are no othere items listed.

I have tryed uninstalling the sound drivers from both normal and safe mode as well as going into device manager in both modes and removing all the audio devices manualy then doing a reinstall with the latest drivers from the via website but with no joy, also tryed unplugging the modem while doing the reinstall but the modem items are still listed in playback and record fields in sound and audio devices propertise in windows control panel.

the mainboard is P4PB 266E
    Win XP Home sp1 + updates
    Latest 4in1 patch

Thanks in advance for the help
    The customer is always right sometimes confused, mis-informed,rude, stubborn, changeable and even downright stupid. BUT NEVER WRONG

It doesnt matter how many times you phone us your computer wont get fixed any quicker.

If you go to the hardware tab, does it show up there? If so, pull up the properties. What does it show for device status and device usage?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

yup its listed under the H/W tabb and under propertise and in general its set to use audio features on this device.

Also i've just noticed in the Midi music playback field its grayed out and says no midi playback devices.
    Last edited by Garfield99; July 14th, 2004 at 04:00 AM.
    The customer is always right sometimes confused, mis-informed,rude, stubborn, changeable and even downright stupid. BUT NEVER WRONG

It doesnt matter how many times you phone us your computer wont get fixed any quicker.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay i've fixed it not sure how but all the sound devices are now listed correctly and i get all sounds , last thing i tryed was uninstall the sound drivers from add and remove programs then let the system refind the drivers, odd thing is i've done this 5/6 times with no joy and fer some odd resason this time its werked.