Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Members decide

Members decide

Political threads have caused problems.

Do you want to:

a) Ban ALL political threads
    b) Ban electioneering threads
    c) Leave it be

If you choose b) please post defining what constitutes an electioneering thread.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    This one should be good.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

I voted #1 , but I'm not saying someone can't post a NewsReport about someone who has been arrested or has charge's pending or under investisgation for whatever , but leave whatever P.party they may belong to out of it .
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

This is a tough one. Politics, as with other "thorny" issues can lead to great discussions, debates and, obviously, heated arguments. Electioneering is different, since those are usually blatant attempts at convincing or swaying others to lean or move in the electioneer's direction. But, that is not always bad either and can lead to good discussions and be informative as well.
    So: leave it be, but with the caveat that those blatantly causing trouble (such as one certain individual;s unnecessary put-down of ALL Texan's), will in fact be banned...which is also going to be tricky, considering it is starting to look a bit one sided to certain members standing in the same aisle as the one being banned most often.
    Good Luck: this won't be an easy one....
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; July 14th, 2004 at 06:28 PM.

I voted #1.

There are zillions of places on the web where you can get involved in political debate....

Windrivers is effectively the best place anyone can go to get technical help.

Politics tend to cloud the issue.

Also, we are very much more global than most forums.

As a brit, I have nothing to offer to any political debate in other countries..

I say leave the politics to the places where they matter.

I do not consider that Windrivers is one of them.

Way of the post pad

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Hey, NooNoo can you make it a sticky?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

A thought. Create a new forum/topic for political threads so they don't clog up the lounge. They'll still clog up the "view new posts" search, but I haven't thought up a way around that.

I would define electioneering as posts relating to the performance of an individual elected official or political party. Discussions of government policies would be ok (taxes, trade, etc.). There's a huge grey area that's open to interpretation.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Internet Linebacker
    I voted to leave it be.

I don't care about the political threads one way or another. I just don't read them.

There not my cup of tea, but it's not my place to say how and what someone else can post, and I certainly don't appreciate it when someone tries to do it to me.

Banned
    Electioneering by people who blast the place with only one side and refuse to show any respect to the members here, new or old, when said electionerrer will not listen

i think people have a choice to be active on the post, or just plain stay away. by taking these posts away, you may be limiting some in their liberty of expression. maybe something in the title to warn off those who do not want to enter in those threads? and maybe also a set of guidelines for debates, so everyone stays in line?
    My New Year's resolution: to be intolerant towards those who are intolerant of me, that'll learn 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by i n e p t
    i think people have a choice to be active on the post, or just plain stay away. by taking these posts away, you may be limiting some in their liberty of expression. maybe something in the title to warn off those who do not want to enter in those threads? and maybe also a set of guidelines for debates, so everyone stays in line?
    I'm in favor of banning all political threads except those that agree with liberal opinions.!

Seriously, (only kidding) political threads DO cause problems.

First, people get drawn away from helping others in the tech forums because their involved in a heated argument.

Second, I've noticed some people (not ME of course) may tend to not answer a technical question asked by someone who they've had an argument with. To me their far more dangerous than 'sexually related ' threads which are a lot of fun....

This all from a prime offender in the political arena....But I'm not as bad as Ya_know....
    Bouncy Bouncy

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    This all from a prime offender in the political arena....But I'm not as bad as Ya_know....
    Funny punkinhead.
    That being said, does anyone realize that what we are talking about here is CENSORSHIP???
    In the annals of history, I know of no time where censorship achieved desired results. Correct me if I am wrong people. If anything it has always backfired. In fact, it has always been repudiated, fought against, and, eventually, won over. So, with this new world order, and soo many educated people with soo many differing opionions, especially here at WD, what would this potentiial banning of ANY topics whatsoever achieve?
    I can tell you:
    The loss of many members!! Especially those who truly love the discussions. The ones who look forward to the lounge as part of there daily existence in this life of uncertainty and chaos!
    WD has become a place where many people can be heard; whereever they are from, whatever their beliefs. Taking politics (which can include a really wide range of topics...in fact, almost everything) out of the equation would be tantamount to emasculating the lounge itself!!
    So, consider that if you will, and thank you NooNoo for asking us.
    BTW
    What does DriverGuy think on all this?
    What does Internet.com think?
    What happened to the following:
    Everything NOT pertaining to PC/computer support type stuff such as your choice of underwear, your boss or anything else within reason! Topics that are of a sexual or drug related theme will be deleted.
    Is this, in fact, a change of WD policy?
    If so, it is NOT a good one!!
    And another thing: other than how boring one particular individual is becoming, political debates sure beat senseless WOTTP crap, imho!!

My name is TripleRLtd, and I approve of this message.
    Thanks for that Titchski. That was a real good one.

I voted to leave it be. I like seeing just how much political/idealogical zealotry there is in this country . It reminds me of just why I am such a damn cynic - about everything really, but I'm extra-cynical when it comes to politics. They're all self-interested, pompous, arrogant, mealy-mouthed liars - thats my opinion, and I shall be sticking to it.

Of course the real reason I voted to keep it this way was so I can improve my post count, because it is definitely in need of some inflation.

Cheers
    Bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd

My name is TripleRLtd, and I approve of this message.
    Thanks for that Titchski. That was a real good one.
    Can't take the credit for that one Trip, I saw someone else with it on a Mac forum - but thanks. Oh, fancy golf sometime next week?
    Bollocks