USB just stopped working

Thread: USB just stopped working

USB just stopped working

I have a client with an odd problem. They purchased a brand new Dell with Windows XP. I applied all the updates, and began installing their software. Pretty standard stuff, Office, Quickbooks, etc. When I connected the USB scanner (HP Scanjet 4570c) it was recognized and installed the software. He was able to use the scanner once. Now it is not recognized as being installed. Additionally, the other USB device he has (Handspring) is not being recognized to even install.

in device manager, there are no warnings or anything, and the usb root, etc all says it is working fine. I have uninstalled and reinstallled the drivers for the root hub. Un and Re installed the software for the scanner. We got the latest version of the scanner software and installed it.

Everything looks ok in the BIOS, and it has the latest version. All the connections on the MOBO are good. I have looked on Dell's , Microsoft, and Hp's sites and not found anything useful.

Ideas?

Tried disabling usb in bios and uninstalling any and all usb items and software in safe mode?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Tried disabling usb in bios and uninstalling any and all usb items and software in safe mode?

I haven't tried disabling it in the BIOS. I'll be back there this weekend. Any other ideas?

It sounds like he disconnected without using the safe to remove icon.... this can cause all kinds of wierdness sometimes.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."