Hi,

I have a machine running Windows XP Home connected to an Epson Perfection 1670 Scanner. When the machine boots and it performs a RAM check at the BIOS stage, you hear the scanner rotate a motor. The pc boots, the scanner is shown correctly in device manager and the scanner is then able to scan images etc. In about 1 of every 3 occasions, when the pc is powered up and the BIOS RAM check occurs, the scanner does not rotate any motors. When the pc is fully booted the scanner is not shown under imaging devices in device manager. Instead it is shown as an Unknown Device in the USB section. There are no red indicators, or yellow exclamation points to indicate that there is a problem, the device is just purely shown as "Unknown Device". If you then pull the USB cable out of the back of the scanner and then re-insert it, the scanner is then detected correctly and can then be used to scan images etc.
I suspect that there is a fault with the scanner, but I find it strange that it works when the motors turn at the BIOS RAM check, and it doesn't work when the motors don't turn at the BIOS RAM check??

Any constructive comments would be most welcomed.

Thanks

Paul