Problem updating NVIDIA video driver
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problem updating NVIDIA video driver

Unhappy Problem updating NVIDIA video driver

I don't know much about computers but I've tried all I can to fix this and I can't come up with anything. Basically, I have a NVIDIA Geforce 2 video card for my PC. Recently, when trying to play some games, i've encountered video problems and was asked to update my drivers. So I thought, OK thats a pretty simple fix! So I went to the NVIDIA site and downloaded the correct driver and installed it and then was asked to restart my computer. I have windows XP and as soon as it got past the XP loading screen when the user names usually show up, my screen just goes black. So I have to reboot in safe mode and go back to my original video driver. THIS IS REALLY FRUSTRATING! I've been working on it for weeks and as I said before, I dont know much about computers so I thought I'd ask some more experienced people's opinions. Please Help, if you know how to fix this!
    Thanks
    Last edited by unctarheels18; July 15th, 2004 at 09:04 PM.

Welcome to Windrivers unctarheels

Quickest fix is to go into device manager (right click my computer, properties, hardware tab, device manager button) and double click on display adapters, on your nvidia adapter double click, in the properties choose the driver tab and click the rollback driver button.

Which driver version are you trying to install? What monitor resolution are you using? Have you got the motherboard drivers installed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks Noo Noo,
    I am trying to install version 56.72 from the Nvidia website, since that is the newest version. I'm using 1024 by 768 monitor resolution, and forgive me if I say that I have no clue whether I have the motherboard drivers installed, beause I wouldn't know how to check it!

OK, if your computer is branded, compaq, hp, dell... state the make and full model number

If not, do you know the make and model of your motherboard? if not, download this and run it It will give you full system information.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Just remember that the drivers on the nvidia site are REFERANCE drivers and SHOULD work with all cards but in fact do not always work, the manufacturer may have strayed a little too far from nvidias design, thats why lots of vid card manuf make their own driver set.

Try using the ones your manuf provided and see if that helps, or if you cant find the driver for it, give us as much info about your system and video card as you can and we may be able to track it down
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Thanks,
    OK my computer is a HPPAV and the motherboard name is Hewlett-Packard HP WMTA system board, and the motherboard chipset is an Intell Tehama i850(E)

OK,
    I've tried looking for drivers from my manuf. but no such luck. OK system info: I have an HPPAV and the motherboard name is Hewlett-Packard HP WMTA system board, and the motherboard chipset is an Intell Tehama i850(E). I use windows XP home edition, my CPU is an Intell pentium 4, 2000 MHz (20X100), My system memory is 256 MB (RDRAM), My video card type is a NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX/MX 400, the DAC type is Intergrated RAMDAC, approx. total memory 64 MB Current display mode, 1024 by 768(32 bit) (60 Hz). My main driver is nv4_disp.dll, and the version number is 6.13.0010.2958.
    Thanks

I always make sure to uninstall the old drivers first, before installing new ones.. From the Nvidia site :

Before installing new drivers make sure you uninstall all NVIDIA display drivers from the Windows Control Panel. Browse to the Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.
    AMD 64 FX-51
    ASUS SK8V (1002 Final)
    1 gig (2X512)Corsair XMS 400 DDR Registered 3200
    Adaptec 2410SA with 4 36Gig Raptors running Raid 0
    ATI 9800 Pro
    DirectX 9.0b
    Antec "True Control" 550
    Windows XP Pro SP1a

unctarheels, could you please give us the pavilion model number as well?

Does this happen on just one particular game? if so, what game is it?

The model number is 9900, and it happens on a number of games, but not all of them. ( some including battlefield 1942 and Halo)

Quote Originally Posted by unctarheels18
    The model number is 9900, and it happens on a number of games, but not all of them. ( some including battlefield 1942 and Halo)
    Go here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&dlc=en&os=228
    and you'll find HP's updates

and that GF-2 card is probably going to have problems playing those games anyway or any new'er ones .
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

I tried to download it but it said something like this is not a valid win32 application or something. Is there any other sites you can download it from or something?

This was just the video driver?

odd.... the 9900 is an 810 chipset, you say you have an 850.... something is wrong somewhere!

Grandad is right about the card not having the oomph to play those newer games.

Unhappy

Well thats just terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK, if your computer is branded, compaq, hp, dell... state the make and full model number

If not, do you know the make and model of your motherboard? if not, download this and run it It will give you full system information.
    unctarheels18
    Did you ever get and run above to verify what you have ?
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com