PC keeps finding printer...

Thread: PC keeps finding printer...

PC keeps finding printer...

I've got an HP Pavilion with XP Home on it...

On bootup, It keeps finding the Lexmark printer installed on it. The printer has already been installed and I have tried uninstall reinstall several times. I did find a registry fix for it but the key to delete is corrupted and won't let me delete or rename it. Just wondering if there is anyway to get that key out or if there is any other fix for this issue. Printer is a lexmark X73 (USB connection). The registry key to delete is:

HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Enum\lptenum

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's an update...

I was able to delete that registry key, but I'm not sure why I have to seeing as the printer is installed via USB. I tried deleting the USB key in the same hive, but still no help. I've disabled LPT & USB ports in the BIOS and still no help. I've already cleaned all viruses and spyware from the PC, removed unnecessary startup items, ran Windows updates, etc... One more thing, When I boot in safe mode, The OS Choice is Windows Whistler (WTF is this). Also, I get the found new hardware wizard when safe mode boots up, too. I assume that Windows Whistler is just HP's way to get a cheaper OS on their systems, but I don't really know and haven't had time to research it. Thanks again for any help, and have a great day.
    Last edited by pinhead; July 23rd, 2004 at 11:38 AM.

When you installed the printer, did you use the cd, windows native drivers or a downloaded updated xp driver?

Do you have sp1 installed?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I used the updated drivers from Lexmark (just downloaded them today). The PC has SP 1, but I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling SP1 with no help. Currently, the LPT port is disabled in the BIOS, but the message remains. The motherboard uses the Intel 82801 BA (ICH2) chipset & I've looked on Intel's site for any info with no help. I've also installed a different Lexmark (X73) via USB, but got nowhere with that either. According to MS, this is a known bug, but the only fix they have is removing the previously mentioned registry key.

I don't know if the wall can take much more of my heading banging off of it...

look in msconfig, startup tab... or even better use hijack this, see if the installer is stuck.

You have installed the motherboard drivers? There is also a usb patch...which says it doesn't affect usb problems, except it does....

did you remove the contents of the key or the lptenum folder itself?

System restore is on or off?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."