Need help with Dell Latitude CPi and PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card

Thread: Need help with Dell Latitude CPi and PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card

Need help with Dell Latitude CPi and PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card

Hello everyone,

I know you're probably sick to death of hearing people ask about problems with NEC PCMCIA USB Cards, but here's another one for you.

I just bought an Edimax PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card. I bought it to speed up transfers with my (also newly purchased) Creative Zen Extra 40 gb MP3 player. The problem I'm having is happening during installation.

I keep installing the drivers for the card, both off the CD and downloaded from their site. The installation process seems to go fine, but when I reboot, Windows keeps on detecting new hardware, and won't recognize it. I tried looking for the driver specifically where it said it said it was being installed and use that to install it manually, as opposed to using the setup utility, and it told me something to the effect of the driver "not giving any system information" or something to that effect.

This thing is driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated.

The computer itself is a Dell Latitude CPi, PII266, 64 mb Ram, running Win 98SE.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Windrivers clashman

What pci slot did you put the usb 2 card in?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It isn't located in any PCI slot. It's a laptop, so it's located in the PCMCIA slot. I've tried putting it in both slots, to no avail.

Did you disable unsigned drivers by any chance?

OOPS sorry win98
    Last edited by Archer; July 29th, 2004 at 08:27 AM.

How would I have done that? I don't recall ever doing anything like that.

my bad, answered 100 threads on the trot this morning....

system bios update although this update is 3 years old it might help. USB 2.0 has only been around for 2-3 years.

The other thing to look at is updating the cardbus controller driver which may be included in the "dell os updates" here
    Last edited by NooNoo; July 29th, 2004 at 08:34 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well, thanks for the advice. I ended up fixing it, but it had nothing to do with any of the stuff mentioned above. It just required me taking out my old Win98SE CD-Rom and copying the NEC USB Host Controller to the system. Once again, thanks for the help everyone.

so which file did you extract from the cabs on the 98 cd?

Well, it did it automatically. Previously, I had just been trying to use the inf that came on the driver CD for the PCMCIA card. When that didn't work, I just got frustrated and quit. Sometimes it's worthwhile to pay attention to what the computer is looking for before posting on message boards, I guess.

ah right, thanks.