RAID0 Questions

Thread: RAID0 Questions

Post RAID0 Questions

I have an MSI K7T266Pro2-RU motherboard and I decided to get a 2nd 40GB hard drive and make a RAID0 (stripping) array with my current 40GB drive.

In the manual it recommends identical performance drives but my current drive is ATA100 and the new one ATA133, will this cause a problem in my RAID0 array?

Also, the motherboard manual says to choose either A/V editing, Server or Desktop in the RAID Application settings. What exactly do these settings change?

Also, do I need to manually format each drive before setting the array? (I am currently making a full backup to some 30GB digital tapes)

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

the interface should 'dumb down' to the ata100 speed automatically. I'm not sure exactly what the settings will change, but I'd bet AV editing will concentrate more on speed. As for formatting, it will do that after you create the array... (at least my epox w HPT370a did)
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

[quote]Originally posted by Ahcoraj:
    the interface should 'dumb down' to the ata100 speed automatically. I'm not sure exactly what the settings will change, but I'd bet AV editing will concentrate more on speed. As for formatting, it will do that after you create the array... (at least my epox w HPT370a did)

I got further in reading the manual and it explained what A/V editing, Server and Desktop does:
    A/V editing: Optimizes for large file transfers
    Server: Optimizes for many small file transfers
    Desktop: Optimizes for a combination of small and large file transfers

I think I will use A/V Editing because I often work with files that are 100-3000MB in size.

Thanks
    "[...] drug companies are killing far more Americans than all terrorists, murderers and criminals combined [...]" - NewsTarget.com

Exclamation

I just installed a raid 0 array in my system, I have 2 3o gig Qauntum drives that I bought 6 months apart
    Everything works perfectly , Your system sees the raid as 1 large drive, I used fdisk and partioned my drives. The raid system is completely transparent to me
    Your ata 133 will be slowed down to ata 100 to match the other drive,Both drives should be the same size, It would be best to have exact matching drives, But that costs money, just make sure both drives are the same size
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

[quote]Originally posted by format c::
    just make sure both drives are the same size

They are both 40GB, the only difference is one is ATA100 and the other ATA133.

Thanks