Curious, online gaming and XP SP2

Thread: Curious, online gaming and XP SP2

Curious, online gaming and XP SP2

One of my buds has updated to XP SP2 and has noticed that TRD2 has all kinds of issues now. In part, this may be a warning to those who play online, but also an inquiry to any issues anyone experiences.

Post here is you have updated to XP SP2 and game online with your results. Is XP SP2 causing problems or does online gaming live on. Please list what games you have tested and problems, if any.
    If speed kills, then I'm already dead

• Quake 3
    • Unreal Tournament 2003
    • City of Heroes
    No problem whatsoever with v. 2149 of SP2.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Are you using the beta or the final release?
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    Are you using the beta or the final release?
    Me?

Beta.

Final Release will be installed tonight on my home PC, my work laptop is getting it now.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Me?

Beta.

Final Release will be installed tonight on my home PC, my work laptop is getting it now.
    Well, maybe the original poster is using final and there is something different, or using the beta and using a dif build.

Main thing is to wait until the bugs have been squashed before updating
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Dreamer
    Well, maybe the original poster is using final and there is something different, or using the beta and using a dif build.

Main thing is to wait until the bugs have been squashed before updating
    Sorry for the confusion, I know better. My bud did indeed bravely go ahead and install the final version. I'm sure the SP works great for business, just not sure if they even gave us gamers a thought.

Well Adept, eagerly await your return and thoughts on the final release on your home PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Momoman907
    Sorry for the confusion, I know better. My bud did indeed bravely go ahead and install the final version. I'm sure the SP works great for business, just not sure if they even gave us gamers a thought.

Well Adept, eagerly await your return and thoughts on the final release on your home PC.
    I burned the final (040803-2158) version onto a CD after installing it at work, and I played some City of Heroes instead when the installation process reported a file error.

I,ll have to download it at home, but 266Mb... might not be before a couple of days.

Well my fellow Canuck, the weekend has come and gone. Would this mean Xp Sp2 has brought you problems.....

So you're a canucklehead too, eh?

Actually, I was just too lazy to do it, and when I could someone was on the PC playing City of Heroes, so I didn't want to limit the bandwidth by downloading that 270Mb monster in the background...

Not a very good excuse, I admit, but I'll get to it before the week is over.

In the meantime, TechZ posted a link to known SP2 problems with specific software, and TOCA Race Driver 2 was not on that list, but that might just be that no one has reported it yet.

Codemasters has a patch dated May 2004. Has that been applied?

Are the issues you report only related to network problems? If so, does turning off the SP2 enhanced WinXP firewall help?

First off, you must have a lousy connection at home as 266 meg for me, would be around 15 minutes. But being MS, probably more like 20 to 25.

I've been reading all kinds of articles today and will have to do more tonight. First thing though, is I will be disabling my Windows Auto Update. At least until the dust settles a bit.

Was speaking with my bud lastnight on TS and he stated he had removed XPSP2 for now. I know for myself, as I sit behind a computer all day. I have no *****ions of dealing with computer related crap once I get home. Time better spent racing or fraggin, an awesome stress management program.

And that's an Ontario Canucklehead to you sir.... Keep us posted if you put that beer down and manage your way off the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Momoman907
    ...I know for myself, as I sit behind a computer all day. I have no *****ions of dealing with computer related crap once I get home. Time better spent racing or fraggin, an awesome stress management program.

And that's an Ontario Canucklehead to you sir.... Keep us posted if you put that beer down and manage your way off the couch.
    That's exactly it.

If you replace the beer by Canadian Club.

I spent some time in Ontario when I was a teenager, in Timmins.

Attended the same Junior High as Shania Twain. Still don't know if I ever saw her then.

Sorry to hear about the Timmon's thing......

And I have spent mucho time In Quebec City, Rimouski, Val'Dor, Bae Comeau, etc, and many hours in Lennoxville putting back the quarts. I have seen a lot of La Belle Province, welll, when I was sober enough to see that is.....

Adept, we're still waiting. And I am even more curious about people's results that installed SP2 and simply did, what most of us will, turn off the MS firewall. I already hae a firewall I trust installed, why use one from MS.

I have scoured looking for results where people have done just that. Installed SP2, turned off the firewall, and tested their games, etc. All results appear to be firewall on..... yuk

I installed it and the firewall blocked my connection to SWG. Killed the firewall and all was well.
    WOTPP Recruit.

http://www.lp.org/ http://www.badnarik.org/

SP2 Final installed on my home PC and still no problems with the usual game titles.

Firewall is ON, in my case.