Quotes to live by - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Quotes to live by

"Will The Highways On The Internet Become More Few?"
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Well, you asked for it, in spades:

Both the oligarch and Tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms. — Aristotle

"The attempt to silence a man is the greatest honor you can bestow on him. It means that you recognize his superiority to yourself." - Joseph Sobran

Sometimes a person has to exercise personal judgement and take the chance of being mistaken, or stop calling himself or herself free. —POUL ANDERSON

If you think of yourselves as helpless and ineffectual, it is certain that you will create a despotic government to be your master. The wise despot, therefore, maintains among his subjects a popular sense that they are helpless and ineffectual. — Frank Herbert

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." — The Dalai Lama, (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times) speaking at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon, when asked by a girl how to react when a shooter takes aim at a classmate

The "assault weapon" ban didn't stop the [World Trade Center/Pentagon] terrorists, Brady checks didn't stop them, the high capacity magazine ban didn't. Right to Carry would have. If it had saved only one tower and the people in it, it would have been worth it. GUN CONTROL KILLS. — LTC Stasski, 9/11/01

Reporters today are far removed from America's founding values and are alarmed and contemptuous of gun owners as dangerous lower classes. — HENRY ALLEN, WASHINGTON POST

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government. — THOMAS JEFFERSON (1801)

"Here's your basic truth --- and the more I thought about this over the weekend, the more I came to believe that it deserves to be regarded as a truth of life that is above challenge. About 50% of the adults in this country are simply too damned ignorant and stupid to be living in a free society. These are people who cannot survive without someone else stepping forward to take care of them. They need to and deserve to live in a dictatorship, hopefully benevolent. One thing that occurs to me is that I am unwilling to surrender my freedoms and economic liberty simply because these idiots can't cope. That means that they are a danger to me." Neal Boortz

"That all men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, and that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and free money when unemployed, and free medical care, and a free house with a yard for the kids, and free public transportation, and free education, and a guaranteed well-paying job, and cheap cable TV, and a pension that keeps abreast of inflation, and a steak every Friday, and free basketball hoops, and a new car." — The Declaration of Independence, Liberal Edition.

The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90 MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20. —SAM COHEN

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule. — H.L. MENCKEN

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. — MIILTON FRIEDMAN

The power of the state is measured by the power that men surrender to it. — Felix Morley

You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream -- the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order -- or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. Regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would sacrifice freedom for security have embarked on this downward path. Plutarch warned, "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." Ronald Reagan -October 27, 1964

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. — William Burroughs, 1992

I have long been convinced that institutions purely democratic must, sooner or later, destroy liberty, or civilization, or both. — Thomas MacCaulay

Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of *****ion, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. — James Madison, The Federalist Papers, No. 46

If you think it's wrong to kill someone who is about to kill you, you are too stupid to be allowed to vote. — Michael James

It's funny how a SEMI-automatic rifle in the hands of a Real American Man is called an "Assault Weapon" while the FULLY-automatic rifle in the hands of a soldier is called a "rifle." —Chris Linstruth

Since when did self defense become morally wrong? --David Codrea

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. — Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria in On Crimes and punishment (1764).

Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom because he might abuse it? — HARLON CARTER

The freedom to own and carry the weapon of your choice is a natural, fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and Constitutional right — subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility. — L. Neil Smith

...but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights... — Alexander Hamilton speaking of standing armies in Federalist No. 29.

I think that just about does it.
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

"Rarely Is The Question Asked: Is Our Children Learning?"
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_Driver
    "For NASA, Space Is Still A High Priority."
    Theres enough space on earth and you dont need a multi million dollar rocket to find it

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    "There is no crying in baseball!"

"Do, or do not. There is no try"

"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

"You can't make a centipede by gluing ants together."

"Thank God for secular humanism."

"You can grow as much corn on a crooked row as on a straight one."

"Does the government fear us? Or do we fear the government? When the people fear the government, tyranny has found victory. The federal government is our servant, not our master!"
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

"Football's not about life or death, it's far more important than that" Bill Shankly.

I shall be taking every measure possible to get at least the scores from tomorrows Premiership Kick Off. Trip, I'll Morse Code the scores to you
    Bollocks

Build a fire for a man and he'll be warm for an hour. Set him on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by paraflyer
    Well, you asked for it, in spades:

The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90 MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20. —SAM COHEN

So very true and apt.... so not one for gun control then chap?
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Some C.S. Lewis favourites:

"This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people."

"A great many of those who 'debunk' traditional...values have in the background values of their own which they believe to be immune from the debunking process."

"Wherever any precept of traditional morality is simply challenged to produce its credentials, as though the burden of proof lay on it, we have taken the wrong position."

"What we call Man's power over Nature turns out to be a power exercised by some men over other men with Nature as its instrument."

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."

"Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is..."

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

"If you are really a product of a materialistic universe, how is it that you don't feel at home there?"

"Try to exclude the possibility of suffering which the order of nature and the existence of free-wills involve, and you find that you have excluded life itself."

"The human mind has no more power of inventing a new value than of planting a new sun in the sky or a new primary colour in the spectrum..."

"If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning..."

"Unless thought is valid we have no reason to believe in the real universe."

"A universe whose only claim to be believed in rests on the validity of inference must not start telling us the inference is invalid..."

"[Consciousness] is either inexplicable illusion, or else revelation."

"Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst."

More here.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Registered User FatalException0E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyphrr
    Find’em feel’em f**k’em and forget’em
    Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    I don't remember eating that.
    These two are great right together
    Contents: One signature
    || |||| | |||| |||

Sign up today and get an ulimited number of hours over an extremely limited period of time.

"I don't even like the type of people you try to imitate."
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and instead of bleeding, sings.

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    "I don't even like the type of people you try to imitate."
    nice
    Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    Sun-tzu (~400 BC), The Art of War. Emptiness and Fullness

Quote Originally Posted by Khazad
    nice
    It's actually a double insult I read somewhere once, but it's stuck in my head.