Corporate WIFI Solution??

Thread: Corporate WIFI Solution??

Corporate WIFI Solution??

I was wondering if anyone had tried to start changing over to WIFI network at their business.

My reason for looking at this is our proprietary mobile phone system (Nortel Companion) is no longer in production so I need to replace it with something. I have a couple of choices

1. Celluar. I could get a push to talk system. The problem is that it wouldn't link up to my existing internal PBX/IP Telephony system.

2. Proprietary. Replace it with another. SpectraLink, Panasonic ect all make 900 Mhz phone systems that would replace my aging Companion network.

ORRRR

3. WIFI. Many companies are now selling WIFI devices that have VOIP priority. Think of the possibilities. A WIFI network for both voice and data communication.

Has anyone seen such a system? I have 3 separate buildings all within a 5 minute walk so we are talking lots of access points.

What do you think?

Spyder

I think it would be great, but you would need to mix both a and g standards in order to get the bandwidth (Wifi transmission is layer 2 datalink) and to get around interference from similar devices that broadcast such as cordless phones and microwave ovens. Wifi transmission is layer 2 datalink. The n standard could be what you need but the technology is still young

On your 1st option, have you thought there may be a company that will make you a bespoke bridge?

Option 2 - how's the budget?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I don't know how your budget is, as NooNoo mentioned, but I know Avaya makes WiFi enabled phones... I will try to pull more info for you.
    System Specs

486DX2
    16MB RAM
    16 MB RAM
    1MB vid RAM
    Windows 3.1