BIOS Recovery Tips - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BIOS Recovery Tips

I also tried the links and no go

Quote Originally Posted by Tacka
    hmmm tried the links but dont work...
    Must be something with hosting (last time updated in 2005)...
    We'll try to fix it ASAP. Meanwhile, you can contact with me...

bad flash

This question is for ruslan could you please send me the schematics for the tech device you have for programming / flashing bios chips also do you know of a way to recover from a bad bios flash on a pcchips motherboard ecs same company.

Thanks a bunch

This worked for me on my HP.

After you've installed the restore disks, you have to take the hard drive out of the computer and put it into another computer. The other computer will automatically give it a drive letter. On mine it gave it 2 new drive letters because one of them is the recovery drive. So in other words, the computer I put it into has c drive and also d drive which is the recovery drive or partition, and so when I put the other hard drive into it, it named that hard drive F and G drive. G being the recovery partition of it. So I went down to the lower left of the screen and clicked on search (for files and folders) and had it search in F drive since F was not the recovery side of the drive. Altho it hasn't been restored yet, it still puts files on both sides. Then all I did is type in the search box the word .bat Don't forget to put the period in front of the word bat. It makes the computer search for all the batch files. It will then bring up a list of the .bat files. about a third of the way down the list you'll see one called "Cfgchk" or ConfigCheck. Click on it and delete it. Then take the hard drive back out of that computer and put it into the original computer and turn it on. It will automatically start working. Be sure you put it into the original computer before you restart because if you restart it in the other computer it will configure it for the motherboard in that computer. I know this because when I went to HP's website and did an auto check to see what computer I had it wasn't my computer. And also the computer wasn't quite working like it should have been. So I had to do it twice. Good Luck!

Question

Hi

I would just like to ask you a question.I don't know much about computers and i would like to know if my default cpu usage is controlled my BIOS,because my cpu usage is always on 50%(even when it does absolutely nothing).Could anyone please tell me how can i lower my default cpu usage.
    -I had normal cpu usage(almost always under 10%) before i reinstalled my computer,and i would like to get it back.

Intel Core2 Duo 2.33 GHz,
    2,00 GB of RAM

Ortodox09, it doesn't matter what the bios says, the cpu usage is dependent on what programs are running.

You need to examine the processes tab in task manager, because I can tell you know, 50% cpu usage is not idle!! The processes tab has a list of what processes are consuming the cpu. You can then post what processes are using the cpu and I can help you further.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ok....i understand that,but what i don't understand is this:Why does it constantly maintain the usage of 50%,even when i close unnecessary processes ,close all files,shut down internet and LAN connections and do nothing...
    So because of that I thought that the problem is with the BIOS
    is there any way to upload a pisture,so you can see for yourself

You can use something like image shack to host an image and then link to it...
    Something is wrong if you are definitely showing no processes that are using the cpu yet the performance tab for the processor shows 50%. Are you sure you have read it correctly?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

try to see something over here..there are 25 processes and 50% of usage....

Try this and follow it up with this

The run windows updates and make sure you get all the updates.... including SP2

Tattooing the motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by LikeToWin
    This worked for me on my HP. This is how to get around TATTOOING the motherboard. When my computer was just starting to mess up, I put the restore disks into it and it made it to the forth disk before it quit completely. So therefore I had to get the new motherboard installed and then put the disks in it again. Then it stopped and gave me code purple. That's when I took out the hard drive and put it into another computer and did the rest.

After you've installed the restore disks, you have to take the hard drive out of the computer and put it into another computer. The other computer will automatically give it a drive letter. On mine it gave it 2 new drive letters because one of them is the recovery drive. So in other words, the computer I put it into has c drive and also d drive which is the recovery drive or partition, and so when I put the other hard drive into it, it named that hard drive F and G drive. G being the recovery partition of it. So I went down to the lower left of the screen and clicked on search (for files and folders) and had it search in F drive since F was not the recovery side of the drive. Altho it hasn't been restored yet, it still puts files on both sides. Then all I did is type in the search box the word .bat Don't forget to put the period in front of the word bat. It makes the computer search for all the batch files. It will then bring up a list of the .bat files. about a third of the way down the list you'll see one called "Cfgchk" or ConfigCheck. Click on it and delete it. Then take the hard drive back out of that computer and put it into the original computer and turn it on. It will automatically start working. Be sure you put it into the original computer before you restart because if you restart it in the other computer it will configure it for the motherboard in that computer. I know this because when I went to HP's website and did an auto check to see what computer I had it wasn't my computer. And also the computer wasn't quite working like it should have been. So I had to do it twice. Good Luck!
    PS. This is how to get around TATTOOING the motherboard. When my computer was just starting to mess up, I put the restore disks into it and it made it to the forth disk before it quit completely. So therefore I had to get the new motherboard installed and then put the disks in it again. Then it stopped and gave me code purple. That's when I took out the hard drive and put it into another computer and did the rest.

Tattooing is a special procedure that can be carried out by authorised service centres.

Sorry I wasn't visiting Windrivers Forums for very long time.
    If somebody still need that article of mine, let me know and I can send it by
    e-mail. I didn't make my own web-site and need help with hosting (luck of time! ).
    The article is a bit outdated now (long time passed since), but still usable for an older motherboards (with 2Mbit max BIOS chips). Newer motherboards have much less issues with bad flash, fortunately.

For somebody who is familiar with soldering iron and electronics I would recommend to build a universal programmer http://www.ezoflash.com/ezoflash.htm . Pretty easy to make (I used regular laser printer to make PCBs), inexpensive (it costed me less than 25 dollars in parts), with pretty good docs, supporting many new flash chips etc. Recommended!
    You can also buy kits or ready-to-go programmers from http://www.willem.org .

Good to see you're still about, Ruslan! Thanx for the update.

Bios Recovery Tips

Always save the current BIOS, if asked, so you can recover later. DO NOT TURN THE MACHINE OFF DURING THE UPGRADE, even if there is a recovery procedure.
    __________________________________________________ _______
    maria