remote site cannot FTP

Thread: remote site cannot FTP

remote site cannot FTP

Hello All,

Here's the scoop:

have a remote site that connects directly to the internet via cellular -> PC device. Internet connectivity is achived.

ICS is installed on the connection point machine and shares the internet with 7 other computers HTTP works great.

FTP does not work at this site (the server works becasue i can connect to it from head office, as can the user from home, its a 3rd party FTP server). the users of the remote site get th error: communications was terminated or could not be established.

There are no firewalls at the remote site so nothing within my control should be blocking communications.

as per the 3rd partys instructions I have had the remote site run updates, virus scan yada yada...

I used both IE and an FTP client as well as command prompt still no go. tryed both active and passive, no change....

I know the problem is at the remote site becasue they cannot get to any FTP locations.

whats up?
    Powered by: AMD Opeteron 175, 2 GB Mushkin XP4000, eVGA 7800 GT CO OC SLI, Creative X-Fi, WD25000 RAID 0, Plextor 716-SA, Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Enermax Liberty 620, Zalman 9500 HS

I don't know if that is the case here, but I wanna say I've read places that certain protocols don't work with cell phones...that is, if you are using a non-data, standard user phone service like SprintPCS. Now I understand there are business-class data services that might be more to your needs...take Sprint PCS for instance. With the right cable, you can use it as a wireless network connection...that's what I do. But they don't officially support it, and in fact if you abuse it too much they cut you off. And now that I'm typing this I think I remember why you can't use FTP and the like. It's because they compress the hell out of things at their gateway, such as images. Now this would definantly be a problem for FTP and other protocols.

But lets try and figure it out anyway...what kinda setup are you using. I would agree that the problem is not the FTP server, so lets focus on the cell machine.

What cell phone, service provider, and connection type are you using?

Good luck!

Telus 1X http://www.telusmobility.com/ab/1X/index.shtml

we are using the bigest rate plan for "Wireless Internet Everwhere"
    http://www.telusmobility.com/ab/busi...ate_plan.shtml

this is the modem hardware were using
    http://www.telusmobility.com/ab/busi...mdualiii.shtml

having called the service rep they weren't sure but FTP should work (got a sales person, and not a tech)...