Internet Explorer issue

Thread: Internet Explorer issue

Internet Explorer issue

Have a system that is running XP Home. Everything seems OK except that 2 of the 4 users cannot open anything with IE. It just comes up with the "Page cannot be diplayed" screen no matter what. The other two users on the system work just fine. Any ideas?

Do these users have different ip or dns settings? Or perhaps ie is configured to use a dial-up account.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

All of the users are on dial-up. It is a home PC that is set up with each family member as an account. Two of the accounts cannot surf--all can connect OK but when you open IE the two just come up with the "Page cannot be displayed" no matter what site you try to access.

Compare the dial-up account and tcpip settings for the two that don't work to the two that do, particularly the dns server setting. Can you access sites if you enter the ip address? For example, this site is 63.236.73.232.

While connected, from a command prompt type ipconfig /all. It should give you the ip address of your dns server. Try pinging that server. Compare that address to the address for the working accounts.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

All accounts are set up with the same settings. All can dial in and connect but two of them cannot open ANY sites in IE. Have run virus check and spyware checks--everything comes up clean. Any idea why two of these users cannot surf?!?!?

[repeat]
    Can you access sites if you enter the ip address? For example, this site is 63.236.73.232.

While connected, from a command prompt type ipconfig /all. It should give you the ip address of your dns server. Try pinging that server. Compare that address to the address for the working accounts.
    [/repeat]

Sorry, yes, I did try that and no cannot access sites by putting in the ip address either. Yes it will ping the site and it does reply.

When you type ipconfig /all does it give you a dns server? How about a gateway or wins server? Do you get a different result for the accounts that are able to connect?

do a search of all files that contain 'hosts' in the file name. Post back list of matching files.

do an ipconfig /flushdns and an ipconfig /displaydns and make sure the list only has 2-3 entries in it.

Although this should have been picked up by any up to day antivirus, look at This I've had to deal with this one or something like it a few times in the past.