Conexant STINKS: Borg Upgrade needed

Thread: Conexant STINKS: Borg Upgrade needed

Thumbs down Conexant STINKS: Borg Upgrade needed

I NEED A DRIVER!

I must have one of the WORST modems ever made, a conexant. This modem is a conexant model # f-1156IV/r2. I downloaded the listed driver from gvc, but it will not let me dial, furthermore, its country code is for Australia! To add insult to injury, 98SE tells me "This driver was not written specifically for this device..." Ok, so NOW what? I must have 15 different conexant drivers, and each one "is not writen specifically for this device...". I did get one of the drivers to give me a response.. (A blue screen, but hey, it was a response). The drivers DO recognize the modem, and I get AT signatures, but no dialing, no telephony, no internet connection. So, anyone got any bullets?

Windows will tell you that you don't have the correct driver every time you try to install a driver. That's because you have a driver installed that doesn't match any of the other ones you're trying. Clear as mud?
    Anyhow, look on the drivers tab, list driver info. Write it down. Remove all .inf's referred to from c:\windows\inf (and sub-folders). Shutdown, take the modem out. Restart in safe mode, remove the modem and all com ports from device manager. Restart, shutdown. Put the modem back in, and restart, reinstall with any driver you like.
    Providing this isn't a proprietary Compaq, HP, PB, E-machine, et al, you should have no troubles.
    It's your windows settings that are all screwed, not the driver, and reinstalling a different version of the driver doesn't cure the prob, it adds to the confusion of what modem and driver the machine is supposed to use.
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]