Odd Problem

Thread: Odd Problem

Odd Problem

I have an odd issue, hopefully someone has a fix for it. I have a client that is running Win2K Pro. While it is in the boot process, it hangs right before the Ctrl-Alt-Del login screen. If you unplug the Network cable from the LAN card, it gets to the login screen within a couple seconds from where it hangs, and then you can plug the LAN cable back in, and log in like normal. I've reloaded the NIC driver, replaced the NIC with another brand, (3 Com), and the problem persists. Tried different ports on the switch too. Safe mode poses no problems unless it's safe mode with networking. Can't figure this one out, checked with a couple co-workers too. No dice. Any suggestions?
    Sex is like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Do a logged boot. Should identify the file its hanging on.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Safe-mode and check for spyware/adware/viruses. Also some scheduled tasks that might be starting at system startup.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Good points. Thanks guys. I did look into spyware etc, looks clean. Just something I forgot to mention in my original post, this all began after he changed ISPs and I installed the new DSL modem/router. This is tied into a Linksys router. All the IP settings are consistant as the others on the network. He has the only system on the network with Win2K. I'm thinkning I'm going to check his service pack and update if necessary. According to MS Knowledgebase, there are a few "hanging" issues with Win2K on a LAN that are correctable by updating the service pack. I'll update as to how that goes.
    Sex is like pizza. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good.