Road Runner Cable and cable modems

Thread: Road Runner Cable and cable modems

Post Road Runner Cable and cable modems

In a week or so TWCable is going to install Road Runner in my home. They are supplying one line and one cable modem. I can bring in more lines from the T in the basement. My question is can a cable modem be purchased outright from a vendor or will I have to byte the bullet($) and order a second cable modem from the Road Runner guys?
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Here you have to use RoadRunner equipment.
    But what you need is just hub (or router). Check out the Netgear RT311 - one IP served to 10 or so PCs, only one cable modem required.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Thats what I thought, a 4 port hub and a couple of NIC's sounds like the way to go.
    Peter Ustinov

Originally posted by Silverman:
    <STRONG>Thats what I thought, a 4 port hub and a couple of NIC's sounds like the way to go.</STRONG>
    As Student^2 said, make sure you get a router and not just a hub. The router is needed to share out the connection. They are available through companies such as Netgear, Linksys (one I use), D-Link to name a few. They can usually be found for under $150 with a built in 4 port hub/switch.
    My brain went into standby mode and I can't get it to wake up, is there a BIOS patch for this?

Thanks for the info Compaqman, I was thinking about going USB but I don't know what all they are bringing in for their hookup. Guess I will just wait and see.
    Peter Ustinov

By all means make then install it on a NIC. Call back customer service to ensure they bring a modem with Rj45 on it with them. Tell them all your USB ports are used, or you don't have any. They should provide the NIC for you. That'll give you the option of installing the router after they leave. If they stick you with USB then you might not be able to later.

Thanks for the headsup about the NIC. They are definitaly not bringing USB.

Update: I installed a NIC and disabled USB in the Bios and passworded it as I will not be here when they do the install and they won't be able to or won't want to get into it to re-enable.
    Peter Ustinov

my cable modem from TW came with both an rj45 port and a usb port.
    Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.- Ronald Reagan

Road Runner here let me install my own NIC. All I had to do is call in the MAC address. Routers come with addys as well and all I will have to do is call that in when I am ready to add another machine.