XP SP2 Problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP SP2 Problem

XP SP2 Problem

User was installing XP SP2 on her computer and shut the PC down prior to its completion. It gets BSOD and lots of fatal Exception errors at boot. It will not boot into safe mode either. Is ther something I can do through recovery console to undo what she has done?

The only PC info I have is Win XP Pro. She called the tech that built the machine and he said he'd gladly come out Thursday. This is a non-profit org that can't wait that long so they called there non-profit PC repairman.(Me!!)

Thanks in advance. I've read these forums for years, now I need y'alls help!!

Welcome to WD Thunked. That is the worst possible time for a pc to shut down. It's unlikely that SP2 installed completely, but if the user made the choice to back up the system prior to install, then yeah, the recovery console will have a folder you can view under the root (either windowsnt or windows) where you can uninstall it. It should be called "NT Service Pack Uninstall". Within that folder is a folder called "SP Uninstall" that has and executable you can run from the console. If need be, I can get a KB for you, or, perhaps someone else can ;-).
    Good luck.

I do not think this user would be wise enough to Back Up. I'm trying to prepare for the worst while praying for the best!!

I mean that when a user chooses to update with the SP, one option at the install screen is to "save settings", which will allow for a "rollback". Listen, until you find this out, we don't know, so check that out. Only other option would be to do a "repair install", which may work.

I'll post again when gather that info. Thanks for the help.

Typical user. "I clicked next...and I think I clicked finished...blah blah blah blah blah." She has not a clue.

I suspect No restore point during SP2 install.

The last known good system backup was 9/15/2004. I prepared her for the rekeying of 20 days of data. Is there anything else I should do prior to trying recovery console repair option?

Thanks again for the helpful advice.

I do see $NtServicePackUninstall$ in the Windows directory htat was created today. I'll give it a shot.

I thought Recovery Console took you to a Blue screen similar to the Setup Page. I am only getting to a command prompt and when I navigate to C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst directory I see spuninst.exe, however I cannot get it to run. Any advice?

there is a special "way" to run it. Let me check for that if noone else comes up with it before I do.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Have you tried this?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

Specifically...
    Use Recovery Console
    Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

If you cannot successfully remove Windows XP SP2 by using one of the previous methods, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in your floppy disk drive or insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
    Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
    2. When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

NoteMultiple options will appear on the screen.
    3. Select the Windows XP installation in question.

Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
    4. If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

Note You will not be able to continue if you do not have the administrator password.
    5. At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst, and then press ENTER.

Note After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.
    6. At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt, and then press ENTER.

Note The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and files being copied. This is normal behavior.
    7. After Windows XP SP2 is removed, type exit, and then press ENTER.
    8. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 as the computer restarts.
    Note After you restart, the system may lock up with a black screen. (Your mouse will work.) In this case, restart again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you to log on.
    9. When your computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
    2. Click File, and then click New Task (Run...).
    3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\RpcSs
    5. On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    6. Restart your computer
    Google rules.
    WWBRD?

I don't think you are gonna have much joy trying to uninstall a 1/2 completed service pack ..

You need to install console first - How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP - BUT have no fear if you ain't - just pop your windows cd-in, set it to boot from CD in bios, & that will let you run it

I reckon Trips 'repair' suggestion is the way to go How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP - usually leaves most of your data & installed programs intact (depends on profiles & whatnot, see the links in the KBs), though you'll need to revisit windows update to get all the patch application sorted out (generally unless somebody changed it all updates should be stored locally anyway, so hopefully not too much downloading)

Thank you ima.
    Damn syntax has to be just right.

I was about to post the same thing from an anandtech forum. Thanks for the help folks!

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    I don't think you are gonna have much joy trying to uninstall a 1/2 completed service pack ..
    That's the thing. It looks as if the user did choose to "save settings" before the install. So, ima's link should work.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    I just typed in "uninstalling sp2 XP recovery console".

All hail google!!
    WWBRD?