The Data is Invalid - Multimedia Audio Controller SoundMax

Thread: The Data is Invalid - Multimedia Audio Controller SoundMax

Angry The Data is Invalid - Multimedia Audio Controller SoundMax

Computer Spec:

Processor: Pentium 4A, 1.8 MHz
    Motherboard: Intel D845PESV
    RAM: 512MB DDR SDRAM 266
    Soundcard: Integrated Audio
    Chipset: Intel® 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) – AC’97 Audio Controller [B-0] , AD1981B analog codec.

I have done a fresh installation of Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 integrated. After installation is done and Windows is working, I have to install the Intel(R) Chipset INF update and Analog Devices SoundMax Digital Audio from the CD that came with the Intel D845PESV motherboard.

The INF update was successfully installed, and the SoundMax also looks like it was installed correctly. However, Windows then detect a new hardware installation. This was for the Multimedia Audio Controller that it found just right after finish installation of the Analog Devices Soundmax.

I try to install the drivers that is on the CD that came with the Intel motherboard, I got the following error message:

“Cannot Install this Hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware: Multimedia Audio Controller. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The data is invalid”

Under Device Manager, the Multimedia Audio Controller has the yellow exclamation mark.

The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I tried reinstalling, but keep getting the same “The Data is Invalid” message. I try to look up if there are any new update drivers on Intel’s website, but the only one available is on Intel’s website is dated January 7, 2003. I bought my computer on July 2003. So I assumed what I have on the CD should be the same or maybe even newer. I tried checking Microsoft Windows update page for it, and nothing available either.

All this time during the installation and reinstallation I was login as Administrator.

What I have done so far without success:

• Uninstall the device, and when WINXP detects it again, I browse to the CD driver folder to specify the drivers
    • Uninstall/Reinstall SoundMax in regular WINXP mode
    • Uninstall/Reinstall SoundMax in Safe Mode
    • Tried using different drivers that was available from WINXP system for the various version of AC’97 Audio Controller
    • Made sure BIOS Setup Utility setting for Sound/Audio is ENABLED
    • Made sure the Jumper setting for the audio line out signals are routed to the back panel audio line out connector.

Any help is appreciated. Right now I can’t get any sound because of this. By the way, everything is working just fine when I was using Windows XP Pro SP1 operating system. I’m not sure if this problem has anything to do with SP2 being installed. If it is, I cannot find any reference about it in Microsoft website about it.

UPDATE:

I tried to reinstall the SoundMax from the Intel CD again. But this time I cannot install, and got the error messsage:

An installtion component failure occurred.
    Last edited by PRINTAS; October 9th, 2004 at 06:33 AM.

Welcome to windrivers printas. The multimedia audio controller you are getting errors for is the intel component, not the soundmax codec. Try installing the newest chipset drivers here: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...6&DwnldID=7484
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Welcome to windrivers printas. The multimedia audio controller you are getting errors for is the intel component, not the soundmax codec. Try installing the newest chipset drivers here: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...6&DwnldID=7484
    Hello Hudsonsmith,

I can installed the INF Utility in the Intel CD Express Installer that came with the board. I started having problem when trying to install the SoundMax (to get the onboard sound card going).

However, the good news is just before I read your post here, I decided to download the SoundMax Driver that was on Intel's web that was 18MB (took 3 hours on dial-up) to give it a try. Well, the driver/application on the web although it says January 2003, it's actually newer than what I have on the Express Installer CD (I purchased the board in July 2003 and it came with this CD!). What do you know, I shouldn't have assumed just because July came after January means what's inside the CD is newer!

I installed the SoundMax setup.exe in Safe Mode. And it install smoothly without problem. Afterward, I boot up normally, and all the problem about Multimedia Audio Controller is FINISH/SOLVED!!! Now I have sound and can play all my MP3!!!!!

But I will download the new INF UTILITY Update you mentioned here anyway for future installation when I need them.

Thanks

Glad to see you got it sorted. If you're working ok, there's no need to install the newer chipset drivers, but it wont hurt anything either. Intel constantly updates these drivers, not only to accommodate new chipsets, but to fix bugs as well.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.