problem flashing BIOS

Thread: problem flashing BIOS

Post problem flashing BIOS

Okay, well I'm trying to flash the BIOS of this motherboard. its an ECS SI55P AIO. i've downloaded the flash utility and .bin file. when i type 'flash36' at the prompt, i get a message 'please release the himem.sys and emm386.exe device driver before programming.' i've tried booting with a 98 disk and then loading the flash36 file and i get this message 'please release the emm386.exe device driver'. i know i downloaded the correct file for flashing the BIOS. I've also gone in the config.sys and added the line
    devicehigh=emm386.exe
    anyone have any ideas?
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

try with a dos only boot disk, insert the floppy, rt clik on A drive and choose format, quick then OK then when it's done choose copy system files only, then copy the bin and flash utility onto it, and then reboot. That should do it.
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

[quote]Originally posted by Todo:
    I've also gone in the config.sys and added the line
    devicehigh=emm386.exe
    anyone have any ideas?

... and You have done it exactly as opposite to what was suggested,as I understand...
    You should have no "emm386" nor "himem" memory managers referred in config.sys...or simply run
    flash util without config.sys at all...

(well,personally I run config.sys with himem.sys and DOS=high lines only - no problems so far
    But that's another story )

But "emm386" definately should be released from config.sys (rem-ed or deleted)...

i should have been more clear. i already tried a dos boot disk and thats when i got the FIRST error message. I'll keep trying to figure out whats going on. I've been to the mobo's site and i'm following the right procedure. Its just not working

Thumbs up

i don`t know about your particular board,but some of the fairly new boards have a set of pins for stopping the bios from being flashed by accident,check your manual and it should tell you,
    clauded

Banned

Okay, well I'm trying to flash the BIOS of this motherboard. its an ECS SI55P AIO. i've downloaded the flash utility and .bin file. when i type 'flash36' at the prompt, i get a message 'please release the himem.sys and emm386.exe device driver before programming.' i've tried booting with a 98 disk and then loading the flash36 file and i get this message 'please release the emm386.exe device driver'. i know i downloaded the correct file for flashing the BIOS. I've also gone in the config.sys and added the line
    devicehigh=emm386.exe
    anyone have any ideas?

Ok , on your boot disk [b] REMOVE all references to himem and EMM , infact remove your autoexec + config files completly,

just a sys disk , with your flash prog and bin file,

actually i've done that, just used a sys disk with the flash utility and bin file. no config or autoexec, but i was still getting 'please release the himem.sys and emm386.exe device driver before programming'. When i did type 'flash' at the prompt , it did return other messages, i don't remember now because i'm at home. i'll have to check when i get to work in the morning. I've also emailed tech support to see if they have any ideas.

2 things - make sure you dont have the bios virus checker on and check for a bios protection jumper.

If you still have those problems, boot with a 98 boot disk but run the flash from c:

Crazy I know, but it works!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

1. Disable the BIOS Update Protection from either the BIOS or use the proper jumper on the motherboard.
    2. Turn the machine on.
    3. When it starts, keep the Ctrl key pressed until you see the boot menu.
    4. Select "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only.
    5. Go to the directory that you previously copied the .bin file and the flash utility and start the procedure.

Good luck!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

actually i've done that, just used a sys disk with the flash utility and bin file. no config or autoexec, but i was still getting 'please release the himem.sys and emm386.exe device driver before programming'. When i did type 'flash' at the prompt , it did return other messages, i don't remember now because i'm at home.

May be,it is simple warning "just in case"?