Partitioning hard drive

Thread: Partitioning hard drive

Partitioning hard drive

Hello everyone.

My enquiry is in regards to partitioning my hd, plus more.
    I am able partition my hd without any problem. I am able to install my os (win98se) without any problem on the first partition (C).

This is where I really need help.

I now have 2 partitions. Both are of equal size. My enquiry, firstly, is how do I even access my other partition? I have no idea whatsoever as to how to communicate to Windows that I actually have another partition. I would like to call this drive (E).

My next inquiry is assuming I can accomplish actually accessing my other drive (with your help) and name the drive, am I going to actually be able to see the drive, for example, in windows explorer?

Continuing on, if this is indeed possible, will I be able to move data from my (C) drive to my (yet to exist) (E) drive and vice versa using windows explorer? Essentially what I'm asking is can the 2 drives still have open communication? For example, would I be able to have files on my (E) drive accessable by say, a media player on my (C) drive?

Many thanks in advance for any responses. I have spent many, many hours googling and to my surprise I cannot find any detailed information. This is contrary to most subjects I search for and am rather successful, for the most part.

Luxman
    Peanuts rules!

Assuming that you have already installed windows on c:, you would need to boot to dos and run fdisk. Select "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS Drive". Then select "Create Extended DOS Partition" (you may have done this already). Then select "Create Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition". After you have done this, fdisk will tell you to reboot. After you reboot, you will have a new drive ready to format. If the first partition is c:, the new drive will become d:. Any CD drive will become e:, etc.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

and don't forget you have to format the partition after you create it, or it will be useless to windows
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Ok well at this point in time I am completely stumped as to what to do next:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    fdisk display partition information:

Current fixed disk drives:1

Partition/Status/Type/Mbytes/System/Usage
    C:1____ /__ A__/PRI DOS/19665/Fat32/50%
    2____ /_____ /EXT DOS/19540/____/50%

--------------------------------------------------------

(the underscores are just to keep the info in context)

Windows obviously at this stage doesn't recognize my second partition. I am unable to format it since it has no name, and I do not know how to give it a drive name.

Is anyone out there willing to guide me along step-by-step to assist me in accomplishing my objective? I would be grateful.

I realize a great majority of you probably do this on a regular basis and it gets rather "old", but as I have never been able to do this, to me it a learning experience and your patience is appreciated. And obviously your assistance is as well.

Thanks in advance, Luxman.
    Last edited by Luxman; October 21st, 2004 at 05:05 PM.
    Peanuts rules!

As Hudsonsmith said..your next step is to create a logical dos drive in the extended partition..it should be one of your choices in fdisk. Once you do that, you will need to reboot and use the startup floppy again to get back to fdisk and check..your c drive will still be c..your extended partition with the logical dos drive will be d...there is no way around that at this stage.. once you see that you have that part done..get out of fdisk and back to an "A" prompt. At the A prompt, type in Format D: and hit enter..you should get the warnings and etc and then it will format. once it does, windows will see it, and will give it the drive letter D
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Yes, thanks to you both. Thanks hudsonsmith it appears I forgot one little aspect of the process...pressing "enter".

Off I go to formatland. No sleep for 24 hours. Got to love it!

Thanks again very much! Luxman.
    Peanuts rules!