Need to copy files off bad hard drive

Thread: Need to copy files off bad hard drive

Need to copy files off bad hard drive

I need something that will just pick off the still good files on an NTFS partition. Seems my Toshiba 30GB in my Satellite went tits up.

So, before I try and do any recovery, I want to copy as many files off as possible. I need a utility that will copy files, skip the bad ones (yet keep track of them so I know what I'm losing) before I try anything that writes to the drive.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s

Hi Kenny,

You might want to look at this software... Get Data Back for NTFS or FAT;

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

Snow
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies!

Personally in this situation , I'd say use a hard disk imaging utility like ghost or driveimage (there are loads) - this will make an exact sector by sector copy of your disk (quite often these utils are also described as being for 'cloning' a disk) .. here I'd be able to whip the laptop drive out, use an ide converter to let it work in my desktop & make an exact copy for if things went ammiss, you mightn't have those choices due to lack of converter (not expensive) or lack of spare drive space (or other as you can use imaging utils to write to CD or DVD too)..

Definately anyway you are taking the right overall approach ! Back it up first 'somehow' before proceeding with anything that'll write to your errant device

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Personally in this situation , I'd say use a hard disk imaging utility like ghost or driveimage (there are loads) - this will make an exact sector by sector copy of your disk (quite often these utils are also described as being for 'cloning' a disk) .. here I'd be able to whip the laptop drive out, use an ide converter to let it work in my desktop & make an exact copy for if things went ammiss, you mightn't have those choices due to lack of converter (not expensive) or lack of spare drive space (or other as you can use imaging utils to write to CD or DVD too)..

Definately anyway you are taking the right overall approach ! Back it up first 'somehow' before proceeding with anything that'll write to your errant device
    That was my first thought. I have the 2.5 - 3.5" adapter, as I have run into this with my customer's machines. I tried Ghost - all it did was b!tch about the errors, and the time count was astronomical.

I have the drive hooked into a desktop with the adapter and I'm running GetDataBack NTFS on it. I'll let ya know what happens...

When GetDataBack is done, I might just Ghost it JIC.

Thanks!

Kenny P.
    Visualize Whirled P.'s