Add hardware error: Cannot run two device installations - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Add hardware error: Cannot run two device installations

i still ahve the problem

Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble2004
    After an exhaustive search on Google and contacting Microsoft on two different occassions for support on the Add Hardware Wizard error of "Cannot run two device installations", I have fixed my Windows XP.

Solution that worked for me:

Step I. backup registry

-------------------------------------

1. Click Start->Run, type "regedit.exe" in the Open box, and click OK.

2. In Registry Editor, click File->Export.

3. Specify a name in the File Name box, making sure that "All" is selected in the Export range box, and then click Save.

***(Probably not a bad idea to create a RESTORE point in XP also just to be safe)

Step II. Delete some keys

-------------------------------------

1. Click Start->Run, type "regedit.exe" in the Open box, and click OK.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup"

3. If there is any key or values named "FactoryPreInstallInProgress", please right click and delete it.

4. Repeat the above steps to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Factory

5. Restart the computer.
    hey, i got a nokia 6500 and connected and inevtitablly my xp didnt agree and now!..., when i connect it it constently flashes 6500 classic crap on system tray, u can hide this by customising sytem tray to always hide but always unhides itself when u reconnect and now recently it seems all that flashing had a reason coz its just managed to tell me it cant intall the hardware quote...

cannot start this hardware

problem installing:

6500 classic

click finish to start troubleshooter

and of course u have no other option to press finish which opens up a website troubleshooter which goes and slows the comp down grr, so the hardware wizard box closes for about 3 seconds then it just comes back up and slaps me in the face again!!, so i go into control panal and clicked add hardwre and get the same problem as everyone else did here, went through the stages of what the double trouble dude put and got stuck at (. Specify a name in the File Name box, making sure that "All" is selected in the Export range box, and then click Save.) coz i have no idea what to put in the box and also everything else looks preety complecated after that, could someone please make this idiot proof for me, this constent window opening in my face is quite unnessercery!! cheers peoples

Your problem sounds, by your description, different than the other major issue.

Have you tried to remove the software in Add/Remove Programs?

Quote Originally Posted by jackass7892
    ..... went through the stages of what the double trouble dude put and got stuck at (. Specify a name in the File Name box, making sure that "All" is selected in the Export range box, and then click Save.) coz i have no idea what to put in the box and also everything else looks preety complecated after that, could someone please make this idiot proof for me, this constent window opening in my face is quite unnessercery!! cheers peoples
    Welcome to Windrivers Jackass

When you export the registry, windows wants you to give it a name. That name should be something that makes sense to you. For example:
    Reg Backup for Nokia
    or
    NokiaFixBackup

It really is up to you to choose a name.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation

hey

i registered because all of these posts couldn't help me with the same problem.my problem is about following:after i did a reinstall on my computer,it won't register any kind of hardware i attach to it,stuff like usb flash drives,cell phone,joystick etc.......
    when i go on "Add hardware" in control panel, it says that another hardware installation is in progress and that i should finish it in order to start this one(i checked processes in Task Manager,and there are no installation proceses running)
    -i tried doubletrouble's solution,but i couldn't find those keys in regedit.exe
    -i tried to use the majorgeeks CCLEANER,but it wanted to delete almost 150mb of drivers(i would like to know if it is normal,if yes then i'll delete it)
    -i tried to delete some other keys in regedit.exe,but it also had no results
    -and as a desert,i formated my computer again,and got the same problem.....

i would be fully thankfull for any kind of help
    PLEASEEEEEEE HELP!!!!!!!

Welcome to Windriver ortodox09

Let's start with the make and model of your computer and what operating system you are running.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

SYSTEM:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2
    ----------------------------------------
    HARDWARE:

320 GB SATA II
    Club 3D 8600 GT
    Intel Core2 Duo 2.33 GHz
    2,00 GB RAM

What motherboard? You might want to just try a repair install - instructions here It will not remove any of your data, just put the files back to their install state. You will then need to do your windows update.

Motherboard is ASUS P5B SE.
    But there is a problem,i don't have my windows installation CD,so i can't do the reinstall myself..........is there any way to download one and write it on a new CD?

If your computer was supplied without a CD, then it usually will have a utility to burn a cd from a special utility... if not, phone the computer supplier and ask for one.

Other/additional solutions:

per: http://technicalsupport.businessobje...1%200%20356275

""Error 1500: Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one."

Why does this error message appear, and how can it be resolved?

Resolution
    This error message appears because a registry entry for the Windows Installer is indicating that an install is already in progress. This registry entry must be removed in order to complete the installation.

To remove the registry entry:

========================

CAUTION:

The following resolution involves editing the registry. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall the Windows operating system. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the Changing Keys And Values online Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). Note that you should make a backup copy of the registry files (System.dat and User.dat) before you edit the registry.

========================

1. On the task bar click the 'Start' button and then click 'Run'. The 'Run' dialog box appears.

2. Type 'Regedit' without the quotes in the 'Open' box and click 'Ok'. The 'Registry Editor' dialog box appears.

3. Right-click the plus (+) sign to expand each of the folders listed below in the order shown.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

MICROSOFT

WINDOWS

CURRENTVERSION

INSTALLER

4. Under the expanded 'Installer' folder right-click the 'InProgress' entry, and click 'Delete'. The 'Confirm Key Delete' message box appears. Click 'Yes' to delete the entry.

5. Close Registry Editor."

per: http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Installation

"Installation Problems:

Try cleaning up the installer. Click start/run, type services.msc and click "ok". Scroll down to "Windows Installer" and double click it. Stop the service if it is running, set the startup type line to disabled. Click apply/ok and reboot.

Delete the contents of the temp folders, there may be a file in there interfering with the setup routine of the installer. Check both:

C:\Windows\temp
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\local settings\temp

Now reverse the first set of steps and re-enable the Windows Installer (You can just set the startup type to manual). Reboot.

Turn off all other running programs, especially your antivirus software. Use ctrl+shift+escape, if necessary, to "end task" on everything.

Now retry installing some software. If everything goes ok, but you see that it is only installing for certain users, or you are having trouble with limited accounts, please see this page on running software in a WindowsXP environment. You may also find it useful to run the installer cleanup utility:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290301

Updating the Windows installer can help as well:

Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=893803

If it doesn't help, here are some further articles that may:

"Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You Try to Add or Remove a Program
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315346

Windows Installer Error 1619 When You Install from NTFS-Protected Directories
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316309

OFF: "The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" Error Message When You Try to Install Office
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324516

There is also a known problem documented on systems that have SP2 installed. The fix is downloadable from this article:

Computer stops responding when you try to install an update in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885894"

i followed those instructions in regedit,but i couldn't find the "InProgress" entry.
    i also followed your second approach to the problem,over the services.msc. i did as you told me and then tried to install my video card drivers.On the beginning of the installation a window popped up,saying:The NVIDIA Setup has detected that one or more Microsoft hardware installation wizards are still active.Do you want to continue with the setup?Click Yes to minimize Setup until you complete or cancel other installation wizard(s).Click No to exit Setup.
    ............. i haven't only tried with those cleanup utilities yet

I just had this problem on my IBM T42 laptop which I just purchased refurbished from an online reseller. It was running XP SP2 and had an apparently clean install of the operating system when it was shipped to me.

The fix from DoubleTrouble2004 worked well. Step II . 2 allows the system to run the Plug and Play software. Without this key disabled or removed, the system would allow for installs of drivers manually and then install of logical volumes, however, the drives would never show up on My Computer, even though one could open the drives via the Drive Manager.

Step II.4 allows for changing the Start Menu. Otherwise the Start Menu will not change on a new startup, even if it is changed by you through "pinning" the program to the Start Menu.

Another problem I ran into was installing a current antivirus program on my PC. The factory install disks the company used assumed that another version of the program would be installed. It clearly was not installed. I ended up deleting the names of the vendor and the program from the registry files and then the install went cleanly.

So even though the post was from 2004, the problems can still exist.

Thanks!

Welcome to Windrivers davidb

Thanks for your comments and I am glad it was of some help. If you need anything else, just post.

THANK YOU very much DOUBLETREE2004 for your help - this fixed my "Cannot run two device installations" error. You saved me a lot of time! Thank you!