New set of Case/CPU fans
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New set of Case/CPU fans

New set of Case/CPU fans

OK, so the noise is driving me nuts, but I want to OC my 2.4 to a minimum of 2.8 and my Ti4600 too. Both of them have easy to use Windows apps that came with the h/w to OC.

Now I need a good recommendation on a CPU HSF Combo.

Nexus P4 Quiet CPU Fan <19 dB - PHT-3600
    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin//s...ml?id=kDcpGCvq

Seems reasonable, but its Al, no Cu, I want to get the maximum for spending all this money, cause I got to get it shipped to Bahrain too. $$$
    Im looking for a good HS, better if its Copper, and a good fan to go with. Im not sure if I should invest in Artic Silver Paste or not, its not cheap, maybe I'll go with their (Artic Silver ) basic stuff.
    As far as the fan is concerned, a 92mm would keep things quieter, and do a decent job at low revs.

As far as case fans go, I have 2 Rear, 1 Front, gonna swap them for quieter ones:
    80 mm Nexus Quiet Case Fan (x3)
    http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...se%20Fans.html

Its definately better than the stock fans that came with the case, and they would be quieter, I could go with normal case fans, better at what they do, but the noise is too much, and I keep the tower on the table, yes, on the table.

Your recommendations will be most appreciated.

and a good OC guide would really help, as Im trying to understand the relation between OC and memory(RAM) effects

http://www.glacialtech.com/

I use the whisper quiet and it seems good
    as to OC,ing
    http://www.ocia.net/articles/overclo...de/page1.shtml
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Seems after some good info, I'll be getting some more RAM, more precisely, 2x512 PC3200, though my board only does PC2100, it seems it will give it "headroom" to OC.

More $$$....

I don't have a specific recommendation but I once read a fairly detailed article (sorry, no link) that indicated the aluminum heatsinks with copper cores are the way to go. It said that the copper is more efficient at conducting heat on contact and the aluminum is more efficient at dissipating heat via radiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Rezin
    I don't have a specific recommendation but I once read a fairly detailed article (sorry, no link) that indicated the aluminum heatsinks with copper cores are the way to go. It said that the copper is more efficient at conducting heat on contact and the aluminum is more efficient at dissipating heat via radiation.
    Dual-metals don't work out too well in practice. You end up with a copper disc that gets hot and an efficiency dropoff between the aluminum and copper. Thermalright (not Thermaltake) makes some great all-copper heatsinks that won't break the bank.

Example

You can slap a low rpm 92mm fan on that and get a decent amount of airflow for little noise.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

thanks.

Im thinking of also investing in some Artic Silver Thermal Compound.

Also checked the SLK-948U and SP-94 out, nice, latter requires removal of MB, I want to keep it simple, and trouble free.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    thanks.

Im thinking of also investing in some Artic Silver Thermal Compound.

Also checked the SLK-948U and SP-94 out, nice, latter requires removal of MB, I want to keep it simple, and trouble free.
    My dream machine is this Arcrylic Clear case with round LED cables. The case I'm looking at has five luminous and LED fans.
    It will be cool and also a very cool nighlight. I'll be able to look inside and see what's up!
    Of course, this means that I'll have to take my system apart and put it back together again to save on the cost, not exactly what I want to do anytime soon. I mean it is one thing to add a hard drive or an IDE card or a tape drive but to rip out the mother board?!
    On second thoutht after looking inside, these new boards are not so difficult. Everything is movable. So I've got my eye on an Arcylic Case for $76.00. The cables and the fans will cost more than the box.

OK. Thats nice, nothing to do with my situation, but nice anyway

Get the Arctic silver don’t use the white thermal grease that ships with most heat sinks.

For OC try www.xtremesystems.org

for fans i use low RPM panaflow's

they run at 30 dB at max RPM (1700) and produce almost 70 CFM (120 mm) the 80mm are even quieter but you take a big hit in airflow, the medium speed 80mm are offer the best ballance between speed and airflow if a 120mm just wont fit.

Panaflo

Top it off with a fan controller and drive these bad boys down to 7 volts (low as they go) and you wont know they are there. The sound of a person breating is gerneraly considered 20 dB, your drives will make more noise than the fans running at full speed (at least my system does)