External hard drive problem please help

Thread: External hard drive problem please help

Question External hard drive problem please help

I just baught a external hard drive case and 80g hard drive for it... when i install it evreything seemingly goes well usb 2.0 mass storage device is listed and working properly in device manager and i can see the hard drive under disk drives appreas to be working fine as well but when i go to computer management under admin tools the drive is not listed. and it is also not listed in my computer. also when i go to the drive and drive properties in device manager and go to volumes and try to popuilate it it says this error " volume informaiton for this drive cannot be found. this might happen if this disk is a 1394 or a usb 2.0 device on a 2000 machine...... any help with this would be greatly appericated.

PS os is windows xp home sp2 problem still happend with sp1 as well

Welcome to the forums spinnindisc

1] Is this a 2.5" or 3.5" Hdd?
    2] Does the drive show up in MyComputer?
    3] What OS do you have at the moment, because you have listed XP Home SP2, Sp1, 2000, or are you testing it on different machines?
    4] If its a 3.5" type HDD, then connect the power adaptor.
    5] Are you connecting the drive via USB to a PCI USB card or a USB port on the PC itself?
    6] Have you updated the motherboard drivers? mention what motherboard you are using please.

im running windows xp home sp2 right now i had the same problem with sp1 im connecting it usb to my mother board no pci card, mother board is a am37 pcb 1x, device is listed in device manager as mass storage device hard drive is under disk drive but icon isnt in my computer and doesn't come up in admin tools disk managerment. this is really got me stumped

THANKD

It is 3.5 and i di connect the power supply

did you highlight and intitilize the usb in disk managment?? Some hardware need to be intilized before they can be utilized....keep looking and i know you are not alone...

by the way...did it come with installation cd's? If it did, you will need to disable(eject) the usb, unplug it, install the drivers from the cd, once done-reboot computer, then plug back usb, turn power on...and check if your computer will access the usb...
    apaciq