Hp Pavillion

Thread: Hp Pavillion

Unhappy Hp Pavillion

I have a clients PC he wants to install win2000 on hp Pavilion 8755c. While tring to install, I get a stop error stating the ACPI is not compliant. After reading about this, I tried the F7 at the start of the installation, but this does not seem to work. Is there anything else I can do? I have been to HP web site and found no updates for the installation of W2000. Plenty for 98 ME and XP. Any help would be appreciated.

Checked the HP site, seems pretty barren for bios updates under XP but checking the ME updates lo and behold a bios update.

Hit it with that because ME needs nearly the same compliance 2k does and since there is none for xp, you can be pretty sure that the bios update for ME does the job for xp as well.

Then try a standard install, if it moans, use the F5 key instead of F7 and choose your Hal.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Was able to get it to load after a full reformat and then pressing F7 when installing. Every thing works properly with the exception of shutting down. It just brings up a window and says "It is now safe to turn your computer off." Any ideas on how to correct this.

Darn Shutdown Message

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie
    Was able to get it to load after a full reformat and then pressing F7 when installing. Every thing works properly with the exception of shutting down. It just brings up a window and says "It is now safe to turn your computer off." Any ideas on how to correct this.

This happens alot when you install 2K on an older machine. What you need to do is go into the Control Panel under Power Options. You should have an APM tab, click on that tab and enable APM. Reboot and you should be ok.

--Scooter
    Don't ask me... I just work here.

If that doesn't work, go into device manager, show system devices, you should have a device along the lines of NT APM with a red x indicating it's disabled, if it's there, enable it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've seen few times message "ACPI BIOS is not compliant" caused by defective memory stick...

Thanks all for your help. Enabling the APM did the trick Appreciate all you help.