How can i use my Laser Write 16/600PS Apple printer in WinXp OS?

Thread: How can i use my Laser Write 16/600PS Apple printer in WinXp OS?

How can i use my Laser Write 16/600PS Apple printer in WinXp OS?

How can i use my Laser Write 16/600PS Apple printer in WinXp OS? is it possible to use it? how?

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    XP has drivers, listed under the manufacturer of Apple, so in theory it's possible. I seem to remember that this model has a parrallel interface as standard. Although it may be a 25-pin parrallel, as opposed to a Centronics, as found on most printers, so read the labels on the back carefully, because there may SCSI on there too.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Quote Originally Posted by Outcoded
    XP has drivers, listed under the manufacturer of Apple, so in theory it's possible. I seem to remember that this model has a parrallel interface as standard. Although it may be a 25-pin parrallel, as opposed to a Centronics, as found on most printers, so read the labels on the back carefully, because there may SCSI on there too.
    Yeah all you are trying to say is correct, as a matter of fact im using this printer for Wndows 98 OS befor , but i upgrade my OS to XP, so what i want is to where i can visit a website, that the driver for this printer is available.. already visit so many driver site ...but nothing ... anyone can help me is vey much appreciated ....

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    I can pretty much say that whatever I'm trying to say, or actually saying is correct. XP has drivers included.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    When all else fails try using an HP Laserjet 4 driver. Good things can happen.
    WWBRD?

From Apple's website:
    LaserWriter Driver 4.2.2 for Windows 95

Apple LaserWriter Driver for Windows 95 revision 4.2.2 was released on March 25, 1998.

Requires:

Any version of Windows 95 and one of the following printers: LaserWriter 8500, Color LaserWriter 12/660 PS, Color LaserWriter 12/600 PS, LaserWriter 12/640 PS, LaserWriter 16/600 PS, LaserWriter Pro 600, LaserWriter Pro 630, LaserWriter Select 360

Description:
    This is the Apple LaserWriter Printer Software for Windows 95-based computers.

Note: This installer updates only the printing software. Use your original disks to install fonts. Please see the Read Me included with this software for more information.
    Here is a complete listing of Apple's DOS-Windows Software Downloads

As you can see, nothing listed past Win9X/NT.

As what was mention on the website for support in mac, Win XP OS is not mentioned.. no question about Win 95 or NT, Cause i am using this printer in Win 98 already .. thus it means i cannot use this printer in Win Xp OS? Regarding Hp LAserjet 4, im trying to ask with some of my friend coz i dont have available printer here.

There's a link here:

http://www.printer-drivers.com/drivers/131/131726.htm

to an offering of an XP driver for LW 16/600, if that might cover the PS variant.

It is designated to be for postscript, which is presumably the meaning of the PS. If the printer is also PCL capable, postscript is usually slower & more memory intensive, but I guess this shouldn't be a problem on a system that's adequate for XP.

Hope it might help.

Quote Originally Posted by fhalip
    As what was mention on the website for support in mac, Win XP OS is not mentioned.. no question about Win 95 or NT, Cause i am using this printer in Win 98 already .. thus it means i cannot use this printer in Win Xp OS? Regarding Hp LAserjet 4, im trying to ask with some of my friend coz i dont have available printer here.
    "imaeditedbysowulo" was suggesting that you use the LaserJet 4 Driver for your LaserWriter. Instead of looking for Apple, etc., use the Printer Wizard to find the HP LaserJet 4 driver.

I personally do not know if this workaround will work for you. Please post and let us know how it ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    "imaeditedbysowulo" was suggesting that you use the LaserJet 4 Driver for your LaserWriter. Instead of looking for Apple, etc., use the Printer Wizard to find the HP LaserJet 4 driver.

I personally do not know if this workaround will work for you. Please post and let us know how it ends up.
    Hello everybody... i have done it successfully ... i would like to thank everybody .. for all your suggestions.. sorry for infomring all of you just now cause i came from a training for oracle last week and was not able to visit the site.. so that's it,... again thank you for all the member of this forum .. ..

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fhalip
    Hello everybody... i have done it successfully ... i would like to thank everybody .. for all your suggestions.. sorry for infomring all of you just now cause i came from a training for oracle last week and was not able to visit the site.. so that's it,... again thank you for all the member of this forum .. ..

That's cool that you got it working. Could you tell us what did the trick for you so that anyone else that runs into this will know what to do?
    WWBRD?

Hi fhalip,
    could you share with us how you did it?
    I have the same problem, but I would like to print throught the LAN. I have the network card in the printer, but its IP is set to 0.0.0.0 and I do not have any idea how to confiure it from Windows. I found a note: How to Reset the Configuration of a used Apple LaserWriter 16/600 printer http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/laserwriter16-600/ but I do not have an Apple computer to do it, only windows. Any idea?