Remote Control Software

Thread: Remote Control Software

Remote Control Software

I am looking for something that I can control the other PC's in my LAN or one of the machines from the Internet. I looked at GotoMyPC, but you gotta pay for the damn thing before you can even try it... correction, you have to enter your credit card with the promise that they won't charge you till your trial expires. That I don't trust. Does anyone have any recommendations of free software that I can do this with or something that I can actually download and try first?

Quote Originally Posted by Augurr
    I am looking for something that I can control the other PC's in my LAN or one of the machines from the Internet. I looked at GotoMyPC, but you gotta pay for the damn thing before you can even try it... correction, you have to enter your credit card with the promise that they won't charge you till your trial expires. That I don't trust. Does anyone have any recommendations of free software that I can do this with or something that I can actually download and try first?
    http://www.realvnc.com/

http://www.tightvnc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper

thanks I'll check into those also. but I just found this really cool site called .. www.logmein.com. It loads activex controls and it works really well. I'm controlling my desktop from my laptop, via the internet right now. and it is really fast. pretty amazing. the basic remote control options are completely free, the rest like file transfer and the such is optional pay.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

I too just recently found out about logmein.com, and so far it's very nice for what it costs...which is nothing! It works through a firewall, and you get to keep a list of your clients on their website for easy access. It's very suspicious actually, cause it's really almost too good to be free. You can't transfer files with the free version, but you can pay for something that lets you do it. It's on their homepage if you are interested.

Otherwise I just use VNC, specifically UltraVNC.

Whenever I need a remote control I use VNC of some sort
    The best I find is VNC Neiborhood http://www.sysworksoft.net/products/vncnbhood.html

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Last edited by Gabriel; February 14th, 2005 at 02:44 AM.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Whenever I need a remote control I use VNC of some sort
    The best I find is VNC Neiborhood http://www.sysworksoft.net/products/vncnbhood.html

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    I tried VNC software, realvnc and tightvnc, and found the software to be too slow. Even going across my home network with the desktop as the host and my laptop and the viewer, it was painfully slow. I could close a window on the host, and 3 minutes later it would refresh on the laptop. Horrendous. Logmein works quite nicely for what I want to do and it is free. I don't really need file transfer and my work network is usually too unstable and slow to bother transferring files to myself. I just check my web mail(which is blocked at work) and check on the status of my torrents I'm getting. ;-P

Just wondering what software is on your client PC's.....

I use a VPN connection to our customer sites, and then use the Remote Desktop on XP to connect to XP Pro PC's.... totally free.

We also use something called Funk Proxy, not free but very useful.
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

If this is on the local network and the PC's are all running windows XP or a server products why not use Remote Desktop? (Terminal Server in administration mode) It is built in to all these products and you just have to turn it on.