Compaq 7020 17" LCD

Thread: Compaq 7020 17" LCD

Compaq 7020 17" LCD

I have a Compaq 7020 LCD that I can not get working. We had a power outage and since then it does not work. I am looking for ways to see if it can be fixed. The monitor powers on and a briefly see the Compaq splash screen that says COMPAQ PIXELWORKS, then it disappears as normal. I can not get video after that. I tried pressing the menu button to see if will display a menue, but it does not. No video. I tested the power pack with my meter and it is outputting 12vdc but is is flucuating a little bit (11.6vdc to 12.6vdc), I do not know if that is normal so I looked for another 12vdc power supply I had and it did not flucuate but the screen did the same thing.

Any suggestions? Or is this the end of life for my screen?
    -----------------------------------
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Are you sure the computer it is hooked up to is still working? Have you tried another monitor?

If you have, then the monitor is bad.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Considering first the suggestions from Mobile, and if that fails, it sounds like you do have an LCD problem. We have a couple of members here who do that type of work. I'll pm them and see if they will help.
    Be patient.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    DC voltage readings shouldn't vary at all. Sounds like the power supply is definitely toasted plus some damage to the circuits inside the monitor.

If you want to take the monitor apart and post some pictures of the circuit board I could probably point you in the right direction. Chances are whatever component got fried will cost you less than 20 bucks.
    WWBRD?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCardMan
    I have a Compaq 7020 LCD that I can not get working. We had a power outage and since then it does not work. I am looking for ways to see if it can be fixed. The monitor powers on and a briefly see the Compaq splash screen that says COMPAQ PIXELWORKS, then it disappears as normal. I can not get video after that. I tried pressing the menu button to see if will display a menue, but it does not. No video. I tested the power pack with my meter and it is outputting 12vdc but is is flucuating a little bit (11.6vdc to 12.6vdc), I do not know if that is normal so I looked for another 12vdc power supply I had and it did not flucuate but the screen did the same thing.

Any suggestions? Or is this the end of life for my screen?
    hi cardman
    just a thought have you checked your refresh rate, LCD monitors are normally 60hz ,if you had a CRT monitor before your LCD one then your refresh rate will be about 75hz its worth a check
    What dont kill you only makes you stronger!!!!!

From HP's website:
    Flat Panel Display Troubleshooting Some basic steps to follow.

From your description, the monitor powers up, you get the message and then no display, it sounds like you lost your video interface cable or connector or something along those lines.

Again, try another monitor in its place to verify that the PC is putting out good video.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will try them. I did try this on several computers, ones that currently use a LCD as well. If I can get a picture I will post.

Thanks again
    If all fails....Use a sledgehammer !!

I am sorry to revive such an old thread, but I am having a similar problem as described by the original poster, the monitor powers on, I see the splash screen and then everthing is dark, if you look really close you can see that it is displaying the desktop, it is just very dark. The settings are all correct on my computer, I have 2 of these monitors and one still works fine, I tried the monitor that is not functioning correctly on the other system that is using a Compaq 7020. I am thinking maybe something inside the monitor is burnt..can it be fixed or should I scrap it? Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to Windrivers davjon70

Given the price of repair against a new LCD I would go for a new one and scrap the old BUT AFTER I went through the troubleshooting posted by Donj (and the links to other troubleshooting found on that page).

From what you say it sounds like the backlight has gone bye bye - however if you want to have a go yourself here is a tutorial
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for the link to the backlight fix, I was going to attempt it, but after taking my lcd apart and finding that it has 4 backlights I decided to scrap it, the backlights are $11.99 each on lcdparts.com, so it would be over $50 dollars to buy the backlights and then I have to hope that I get it back together so it would work, there were alot of very small ribbon cables that had to come loose to get it apart, and you know how much of a pain they can be to reuse sometimes.......new monitor for me I guess.

At least they are much cheaper now...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."